Removing old doors with seized screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to remove the interior doors in my house to take some off the bottoms of them for new carpets. I've looked at videos and advice online and they talk about removing the pins from the hinges. The thing is that these are very old doors and I don't think they have pins in the hinges. So I've tried to unscrew them but they seem to be seized up. Has anyone got any tips on how to free the hinge screws please?

Sponsored Links
You may have to drill them out, then use mole grips to get the shank of the screw out or use a plug cutter.

If you press the tip of a hot soldering iron to the screw heads, they will heat up enough to loosen in the wood as it cools.

Do you have an impact driver? They are pretty good at getting most screws out.

Sponsored Links
Presumably they are the traditional slotted screws here?
Remove all of the paint from the slot using your screwdriver and hammer, then tap the screwdriver firmly into the slot. Hold it there and turn, but try to prevent the screwdriver from slipping out.
John :)

Thanks guys - a few ideas there for me. I'll keep the thread updated with progress.

Thanks guys for all your advice. Following John's (Burnerman's) advice on here I've had some success today (3 doors) and haven't so far found a screw I couldn't shift. Before posting on here I'd only tried a couple of the screws with my hammer drill/screwdriver (btw, is that what an impact driver is?) and I couldn't budge them and usually I find I can get more torque using this power screwdriver so I thought I'd better ask for some advice on here before going any further but I guess I hadn't tried that hard. Anyway, following John's advice on here I scraped all the paint from around the screw and in the slot and then put the (hand) screwdriver in the slot and hammered it a bit to loosen things and that's worked with all the screws so far. So thanks again to everyone who chipped in.

An impact driver is a sort of spring-loaded screwdriver. You hit it with a hammer and it automatically twists the head (to undo the screw) at the same time.
175133020-manual-impact-driver-with-screwdriver-bits-gettyimages.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back