uPVC Door Hinge Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I seem to have an issue with my uPVC French Door dropping slightly which results in the inside of the ‘problem’ door catching on the other door when closing it. We need to lift the door up to close it fully.

The issue looks as though it may be the top hinge (4 butt hinges in total). I have checked the adjustment screws and the door is as close to the frame as possible. It seems to be where the screws fix the hinge to the door as there is a small gap.

To get to these screws, it seems that you need to remove the door from the hinge. I have managed to move the cap, grub screw and there is a pin that needs to come out from the top. However, it does not seem to come out as easily as it should. I have tried tapping it from the bottom with a hammer/screwdriver and it comes out about 0.5cm, also trying to leverage it out from the top with a screwdriver but it requires a lot of forces which is starting to damage the head of the pin.

Are there any other tips for resolving this issue?

Thanks,

Anthony
IMG20220418193437.jpg
IMG20220418193453.jpg

Sponsored Links
I fitted a set of French doors to my extension a few months ago -- if you're new to it I've found there's a lot to consider. Are these new doors at all?

I had exactly the same issue. Any adjustment to hinges is made via accessible screws. Anything difficult to get to is not usually for adjustment and I don't think I'd be trying to get to the screws you mention. When you pull the handle up the opening door is pulled close to the stationary door in order to engage the locking mechanisms. If they catch when closing (and before pulling the handle up) then it needs backing off a little.

For me, the biggest difference was achieved by toe and heeling the door (which I hadn't done properly in the first place). This made a huge difference to the shape of the door frames and meant they sat squarely. Any minor adjustments are made through hinges.

Hi, The hinges look similar to the ones on my back door. To adjust them, I prised off the black caps above and below the hinge, and then an allen key inserted into the resulting gap to lift the door. All the hinges (3 on my door) need to adjusted by the same amount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back