Interlink smoke alarm question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just replaced one smoke alarm in our house which is mains wired and interlinked with upstairs. However, the linked 'granny annex' alarm does not link with the main house. I have been advised that all three should be linked to each other.
Is this true as the annex is on its own circuit
Is it a simple case of connecting main house to annex?
Advice would be useful

Sponsored Links
Should be linked. I am sure that granny will want to know that the main house is on fire, and you might want to know about her bit too!
The annex alarm will be powered from the other alarms in the main house.

Fair point. Annex currently on own circuit for power so 3 core e from nearest house fire alarm to annex and remove annex power supply to alarm?

Sponsored Links
Commercially that arrangement would be unacceptable unless interface units were installed in both premises.

Also do the premises have separate power supplies? If they are separate, indication should be provided warning that fire detection power supply is from the main building.

Domestic dwelling. House and annex run of one power supply. Annex smoke alarm on annex rcd, 2 others on house rcd. Would ypu suggest another fix?
Thanks

Domestic dwelling. House and annex run of one power supply. Annex smoke alarm on annex rcd, 2 others on house rcd. Would ypu suggest another fix?
Thanks

So in reality it is one premise.

Annex currently on own circuit for power so 3 core e from nearest house fire alarm to annex and remove annex power supply to alarm?

As TTC had advised, that will be ok. I was only questioning whether it was one or two premise.

I would wire the two sides independently, but link them with a pair of wireless bases. Aico are perfect for this.

Thanks lectrician, exactly what I did yesterday, too difficult to run 3 & e to annex due to fire wall in loft space. So all now working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back