Intermittant tripping of lights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have recently installed 53 Halogen lights (230v GU10) throughout my house. Most are on standard switches and some are on dimmers.
I have used Varilight switches and dimmers.

The problem is that about once a day the fuse trips on the consumer unit. I can have all the lights on at the same time without a problem but after a while the fuse trips.

Any ideas?

Right, I'm off to bring in the New Year in the darkness.

George.

Sponsored Links
How many amps are your lights drawing?

Is it more or less than the 5A or 6A the circuit is fused at?

More info is required

Are all the halogens on one circuit :?:
What wattage are the lamps :?:
What size is the cable and mcb :?:

Sounds like the circuit might be overloaded

Sponsored Links
My understanding of your situation is that all of your lights are on the same circuit, which is not good practice.

Your words: "the fuse trips". How much do you know about electrical systems?

GU10 lamps are rated at 50W, so you have 50 x 53 Watts on one circuit. Thats 2.65kW. You could have a real problem on your hands. What size cable is fitted? What is the rating of your mcb in the consumer unit? Did you install the lamps and switches using the existing cable or did you change the cable?

If your cables are correctly sized you will need only to change your mcb to a 15 Amp. However...

If you have little knowledge about electricity loads, cable ratings and mcbs, you should call out a lecky. In the meantime, do not switch on more lamps than needed to safely use your house. If you must have the lights on in every room, I strongly suggest you remove at least half of them to reduce the load.

Finally, the mcb is doing a stirling job for you at the moment.

I had a call from a customer with a single lighting circuit, pulling 2450W fully loaded. She wondered why the breaker popped of when she had parties.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back