Exterior Lighting keeps tripping

Hello, Steve, were you able to identify the thing that is tripping, and what markings it has?

Sponsored Links
Hi John,

not yet, the wife has a few other jobs for me to do.
I'll post the details tonight.

Thanks

Hi John,

here are the pictures of the mcb and fused switch for the exterior lights
The first is the main switch. This switch needs switching back on after being tripped.

Electricalswitches002.jpg

This is the wylex box containing the fuses for the various circuits. These don't need to be touched after the power failure.

Electricalswitches005.jpg

And this is the fused spur switch which controls the exterior light. The 2 sets of wiring for the lights comes out of the back of this switch and go to the 2 lights.

Electricalswitches004.jpg

Here is a picture of the fuse area

Electricalswitches.jpg

I hope you can help me out

From your pics what is tripping is the 80A 100mA RCD.

This would indicate that you either have some faulty wiring from the FCU to the light fittings or that you have a faulty light fitting - water ingress??(what is their general apperance).

Also it seems that although you have RCD protection, the rating of the RCD it not sufficient to comply with the current regs. I would suggest that you get a local (recommended) sparks out to have a look, they will probably recommend a PIR followed by a CU change.

Sponsored Links
Hi

The lights are brand new, no water has got in them. They are pir equipped lights with 150w halogen bulbs.
I'll check out the fused switch to see if it's faulty at all.

I do need to get a cu installed and the area tidied up but what is the current regs for the rating of the rcd??

steve_warman said:
Hi

The lights are brand new, no water has got in them. They are pir equipped lights with 150w halogen bulbs.
I'll check out the fused switch to see if it's faulty at all.

I would then suggest that either the lights are wired incorrectly or that when offered up to the wall that either a cable has been crushed or that the earth is touching a live conductor.
I do need to get a cu installed and the area tidied up but what is the current regs for the rating of the rcd??

Basically all sockets that could reasonably provide power to portable hand held equipment must be protected by a 30mA RCD.

As you have a 100mA RCD as a min (sorry 'main') isolator it is possible that you have a TT supply, in which case all circuits are required to be protected by a 100mA RCD for the protection of livestock and against fire.

Hi,

Thanks for the info.

I think the problem might be caused by the wiring in the switch then as teh lights have ben changed and the problem occured beforehand as well. The fused switch remains the constant.

You can swap the FCU easily enough, but I would suspect the cable more. Cable can be damaged where it passes through a wall, or by wildlife. Rainwater penetrating outdoor cale or fittings is a common cause of RCD trips. If you have any junction boxes start there.

The fuse for those lights should be 3Amp.

steve_warman said:
Thanks for the info, I'll have a look tonight.
I know it has no test button on it.

Electricalswitches002.jpg

Yes it has!

Will you pay me £5?

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Thanks for the latest info John.

I'll check out the cabling tonight and make sure the fuse is set correctly when I change it over.
If it needs replacing is there a recommendation for exterior cable?

there is a product called "Hi-Tuff" which I don't think the DIY sheds sell, but an electrical supplier will. Sunlight makes most cables deteriorate.

You can get arctic Cable at the sheds, it is rather brightly coloured but OK outside.

Don't try to use Steel Wire Armoured, you will find it difficult to work with.

I saw a link on another thread about hi tuff, I'll get some of that and replace it all.
~Then I need the fuses replaced with a cu

I have a small update to add to the previous conversation.
At the weekend I changed the fused switch to a spurred rcd with no great affect to the tripping.
I then opened the fuse boxes and found the following scenario.
The 3 fuse box runs from the main switch
The 2 fuse box to the right is wired into the 30 amp fuse in the middle of the 3 fuse box.
A cable is then wired from the 5 amp fuse to the spur switch and onto the exterior lights.
Neither fuse blows and no loose wiring can be found.
There doesn't seem to be any degradation to the exterior cable and all connections seem to be tight.

Without changing the whole thing to a new cu is there a better way to wire in the extra fuse box or is it ok as it is?
Is there any more clues as to what could be the cause of the main power shutting down?

Thanks
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back