Shop lights keep tripping

JohnHamer1977 said:
I'm competant enough to do a simple elec install... I have a ONC in electrical and electro mechanical engineering whch have basic electrical installation covered.

JohnHamer1977 said:
I don't have a Electrical Installation Certificate......I don't know the impedance, how important is this?......The cable is I think 1.5 twin and earth.

JohnHamer1977 said:
What do you think?

I think despite the first quote, the second makes me believe you should not work on your commercial install.

You claim an electrician worked on this, yet there is no EIC.

Get it done properly. You have customers to think about.

Sponsored Links
JohnHamer1977 said:
My mate is qualified and is an electrician so I'm pressuming as one he knows what he's doing certainly United Utilities engineer or sunbed installers didn't mention or flag anything up.

I am a ex-project manager, now beauty salon owner with an old engineering ONC that covered electrical basics so I am "competant" to fit some halogens.

You're right. We're on a mission.

But not one to "pick holes".

We're trying to persuade you that you're in over your head, that you have members of the public to protect and that you should have paperwork for your installation.

Your mate may be qualified. If he is, he is cutting huge corners. And he's no mate if he's dumping you in the **** like this.

UU & installers are not going to comment on the fact you have no paperwork.

You may be competent to fit some halogens, but obviously not for a job of this magnitude.

PLEASE:

Have a PIR carried out, so that you know exactly what needs doing.

You need to sort out any faults, make your installation safe & up to current standards and get it certified.

Apologies to Numerical Spark & RF. I skipped through and missed your posts.

@ johnhammer, I have learnt a lot from this forum. I could probably rewire my shop. It has a 3 phase supply, 3 phase compressors for air con and fridges, about 15kw of lights, and a submain for a post office. As I said, I could rewire it.

BUT. And its a big BUT. I have no qualifications, I have no test equipment, I have no insurance, and I'd get the sack for even touching a light fitting. I reset the odd circuit breaker when a bank of fluorescent lamps blows out, but thats it. And thats all you should do.

By all means change the odd lamp when they blow (we aren't allowed - H&S, big company), but please, remember there are customers entering your shop. They dont care about the electrics, so they aren't going to look or ask. They assume because your shop is open for businesss, everything is legit and above board. IT ISNT. You have no certificates. Do you have liability insurance for your business?

Stop having a cavalier approach to electrics, reckoning you know it all, because you DONT. Get an electrician to come and test your installation and let you know what needs doing. Then let him fix the faults.

If a customer died on one of your sunbeds / tanning things, think of how it would make you and your staff feel, opening the door to find a dead body, and having to phone the police / ambulance / their family . . .

[quote="CraftyIf a customer died on one of your sunbeds / tanning things, think of how it would make you and your staff feel, opening the door to find a dead body, and having to phone the police / ambulance / their family . . .[/quote]

A death on the sun bed would be related to over exposure or other non-electrical problem as the units are ( the majority of them ) built with safety in mind and fully tested before and after their installation by trained installers.

The problem will be related to a fire from burnt cables or a darkness related accident when the lights fail.

Better not ask about fire protection to the rooms above if not part of the business and rented as living accomadation of any sort.

Sponsored Links
Don't entirely agree with you there bernard, in this example death can be caused by a number of things including electric shock or fire caused by an installation which hasn't been designed, constructed, inspected and tested properly.

Spark123 said:
Don't entirely agree with you there bernard, in this example death can be caused by a number of things including electric shock or fire caused by an installation which hasn't been designed, constructed, inspected and tested properly.

The point I was making was that other than being bar-B-qued the person would likely to be safer from electrical problems while in / on the sunbed then they would be walking around the premises.

I gather the sun beds are designed, constructed, inspected and tested properly.

Sorry, thought you were referring to the whole installation in general. Given, whilst actually in/on the sunbed they'd probably be pretty safe from electric shock providing it is manufactured and maintained to the correct standards. Doesn't mean someone exiting the sunbed is as safe though!!

So you or the spark who changed your CU didn't even test the installation before powering up Hammer!? :eek:

I'll bet the whole installation is a complete cock up.

assuming the earthing and Equpotential bonding is adequate however I'd assume the sunbeds are double insulated.

If you are so concerned its heat and wont get a spark in, why dont you move the breakers, leaving a blanking plate between the 63A breakers to see if the air gap removes the problem, which I suspect it wont.

Has it been checked with the manufacturer that the CU is suitable for 63A breakers?

I was just reading through the proteus technical specs and stumbled upon this:

proteusspec.jpg

I assume tanning beds get warm when they are in use?

Having never used one I don't know

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back