Internal corner and levels, where do i start?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
i'm needing a wee bit of advice, ........

Before tiling on top of the old grey tiles i know to give it a good wash with sugar soap.

My problem is as you can see from my pics i've tiled the shower cubicle area and worked my way along the top of the bath,where i'm left with cut tiles. How do i tile the tap/basin/wc wall? Where do i start?

My tiles are 40cm long, so i'm assuming if i've got a cut part of tile, of say 10cm, in the internal corner of the wall which runs up the side of the bath, then i'd have 30cm of tile meeting it on the window wall, ie to make up the total of 40cm? Is that the correct way to do it?

Also how do i go about tiling the window wall?
I reckoned on fixing a wooden batton level with the top of the bath,and tiling everything above it.
When set, remove batton and tile from the skirting up,having a 'dry-run' with tile spacers so it all works in?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are supposed to plan prior to starting, working out centre lines, features and cuts.
This would then indicate if you would start from centre with full or half tile, thus avoiding hideous slither cuts and having neat looking corners.
You are also supposed to batten above the bath, not tile straight on to it.
When tiling over tiles, the use of sugar soap alone, is not going to give you a good key, it is best to score the old tiles or remove them. (I prefer the latter, "a job worth doing etc.....")

You are also supposed to batten above the bath, not tile straight on to it, this applies to all sides, you should have fitted batten all the way around before starting.
What adhesive are you using?

Hi,
it's maybe hard to tell from the photo but the tiles were fixed resting on top of a stick,then the bath put in place, they don't actually rest on the bath at any point.
Tbh i did give it a bit of thought before starting tiling and reckoned the way i've done it was as good as any,every chance a professional tiler would have done it differently though.
Out of view,above the wc,i did pop of a dozen tiles or so,without too much damage to the plasterboard,so may well pull them all off.
I'm using UltraTile ProStick BS, from a dedicated tile warehouse, hope your not going to say it's rubbish,cos i'm on my 3rd tub of the stuff :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back