why leave 3/4 of a tile to tile upto a shower or bath?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bath and shower are totally level, so im wondering if i should start with a tile of the tub/shower i was thinking with a 5mm spacer?

or batton it off and put 3/4 of a tile down to the tub/tray?

Should you always tile off the batton, then finish down to the tub when dry? im only using 3 or 2 and 3/4 tiles in height around the tub?

Will be a lot more around 2m in the shower cubicle.

Andy

Sponsored Links
just to make myself slightly more clear.

Im tiling seperatly the areas around the sink, bath and shower. They are all on different walls so you wont actually be able to see the grout lines although now ive had another stella, im thinking that actually i should have a consistant grout line all the way around the room, but i could set this off the bath, the sink is easy as you tile behind, and the shower cubicle will then be completed last?

also ive got the same colour wall and floor tiles a cream colour, the walls have a feature mosiac pattern, the floor is one colour.

Im thinking of using white grout around the walls and grey on the floor is that pretty standard or should i use the same on the walls and floors

Thanks

Start tomorrow afternoon so reply soon.

Andy

Only leave a 2mm gap between bath/shower tray and tile 5mm will be too much.

You could start off the bath if you wanted but it depends how straight and level it is.Dropping the bottom row in last allows for and uneveness and hence why 3/4 tile normally at the bottom.

White grout generally gets dirty quite easily so maybe ivory or similar on walls,stick with grey on the floor.

I installed the bath myself, and with it been the 1st ive ever done its LEVEL, i offered it up to the enclosure at least 15 times, made 1/4 turn adjustments on the feet and even checked it was level in all directions with another spirit level..........

Thats when i realised that even a "pro" wouldnt have made a better job..... I was and am worried about the grout going "dirty" but im stuck between a rock and a hard place. I have grey/cream tiles but the feature is black... I also need to use tile trim, which they dont seem to do in grey. Im thinking that actually by the time the grout gets discoloured i will have moved or want some new tiles!! Ivory could be a good shout though!! does it go with white trim??

Sponsored Links
i never baton anything, i just make sure the bubble says my first row is straight. also a laser guide can be useful.

as for the grey trims you can get them but they are pretty rare

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back