Internal door frame sizes and hanging.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The internal door frames in my house accept doors of dimension 1981mm x 762mm x 40mm. I've been told it's unusual for them to be 40mm, rather than 35mm, is that correct? If so, how would that have happened - it's a bog-standard 1960's house.

Sod's law (for god's sake why are there * in Sod, it's not like I wrote ****) has dictated that the doors we like only come in 35mm thick sizes, so I'm not sure whether to go for them or not. What would be the standard way of dealing with this scenario?

Many thanks. Oh, and just on the off chance that anyone here has hung/used these particular doors and can comment on their quality http://www.doorwarehouse.co.uk/showdoor2.php?args=ICOPTJN000~(J)~(I|A|B)~(.)~(000)~(T)~(.)~(.) these doors seem to be available from many different door/joinery stockists throughout the country nad are not specific to just the retailer shown.

Many thanks as ever

JD

Sponsored Links
being internal door frames they may have door stops[a piece of wood added for the door frame for the door to stop against]
have a look at the top the bits on the side should sit under the bit on top
in general if its a recess it may be a moulded part off the frame
if its about 20mm wide its likly to be a stop which is fully removable
with a wood chisel start 5 inches up behind the stop this should avoid the first nail lever off slightly and insert avoiding nails lever off ass you go
if the paint is thick tap the chisel along each side top to bottom to break the paint on the join

Hi there big-all
Nope, I think the stops are the same piece of wood as the frame, if you know what i mean.

Sponsored Links
you have three choices
get doors the right size for the opening
pad out the door stop by about 4mm[strips of wood/mdf pinned in place]

hang the door against the stop and live with the fact its recessed this option will either leave you with 4mm of hinge showing beyond the knuckle door side
or if you recess the hinge more the door will have slightly reduced opening [may only open to 130% rather than say 145%]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back