Internal door frame too deep...normal to saw them up?

K

KillingTime

Hi,

I'm putting up my first stud wall with door.

I've been round to B&Q / Wickes / Travis Perkins looking at door frames & doors.

I've looked on this forum for door frame fitting but nothing is mentioned with regard to the depth of the door frame.

I'm using 70mmx43mm scant for the stud frame.
I'll be adding 12.5mm plasterboard either side.
This comes to 95mm. The depth of the door frame has to come to just a little over this (say 98mm) for the plaster to level up.

The smallest door frames that Wickes sell are 106mm deep.

Is is normal practice when fitting door frames to saw them down so they fit the stud wall?

Wickes sell a frame and rebated casing, which is better?

Just looking for an opinion before going out and buying yet another peice of equip (table saw for the frame...).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
normally a 4,1/4" or 107mm door casing works ok with 3x2" (75x50mm nom) timber. i guess you could plane a little off the casing before it's assembled and fixed, or find some correct sized timber.

the plaster or skimming will easily deal with 5mm up each side. do you intend skimming the walls?

Hi Noseall (thanks for the quick reply),

Yes, I'll be getting a plasterer in.

Will also look at 3x2 scant.

Is there any difference (better \ worse) between a 'frame' and 'rebated casing'?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back