Internal door hinge recommendations (heavy doors)...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Just looking for some recommendations for hinges, the doors weigh about 27kg each and I'm told 3 hinges per is a good idea.

Any feedback Is much appreciated, Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
if these are for your fire doors, consider fire-rated lift-off hinges. Available BZP or Stainless (PVD brass are sometimes available at vast cost)

The modern ones have lubricated bronze bushes and swing very freely. They now have a short, thick pin with a point on the end to ease location in the socket.

I prefer the look of the full-leaf British design
990168.jpg

but continental design are widely available and may be cheaper. The metal is very thick and rigid.

900663.jpg

Available under several brand names but I suspect all made in the same factory.

Royde & Tucker, Eclipse, Union, Enduro….

Thankyou very much, although these wont be for actual firedoors I presume there will be no downside to using firedoor hinges?

if these are for your fire doors, consider fire-rated lift-off hinges. Available BZP or Stainless (PVD brass are sometimes available at vast cost)

The modern ones have lubricated bronze bushes and swing very freely. They now have a short, thick pin with a point on the end to ease location in the socket.

I prefer the look of the full-leaf British design
990168.jpg

but continental design are widely available and may be cheaper. The metal is very thick and rigid.

900663.jpg

Available under several brand names but I suspect all made in the same factory.

Royde & Tucker, Eclipse, Union, Enduro….

Thankyou very much for your suggestions, as they arn't actually for firedoors I'm thinking maybe the extra cost for the lift of functionality might not be worth it (although could be super handy)

Sponsored Links
you can get a cheaper version lift hinge, not fire rated. I had some from Ironmongerydirect that were PVD brass on stainless, I used some on my shed and they have not tarnished or corroded. They are less thick and have an ordinary pin, so it's not as easy to lift heavy doors onto them. But much easier than taking off and rehanging with ordinary hinges.

the ball, or bushed, hinges swing with beautiful ease, especially on a heavy door.

I've used the stainless fire lift-off hinges on my front and back doors, which are rather heavy.

I'd have preferred stainless with PVD brass, but they seem to be unobtainable.

With the bronze bush, they swing very freely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back