internal door hinges. too many choices!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not very confident choosing door hinges. Since I've taken down 4 internal doors, I want to replace the hinges because they look flimsy & cheap. The doors are nice, solid softwood, 6.5'x2.75', 40mm thick and 23Kg. Each door has 3 nasty cheap fake brass look hinges (3", 1mm). My other doors, which look the very similar but from a different era, have 2x 4" cast iron hinges.

I'm thinking of just using 2 stronger washered 3" steel ones. But don't have much confidence in my decision and I'm a bit bamboozled by the guides and options. What's a good solution here?

Sponsored Links
For 23kg, I am very fond of lift-off fire hinges. Your doors are quite big and heavy so very suitable.

Lift off makes it very easy to remove and refit, e.g. for painting or carpet laying, especially with a heavy door. No need to remove screws and no adjustment afterwards.

The fire hinges are very strong and good quality

The ones I mostly use have a phosphor-bronze bearing so they swing freely with no balls required.

Do you want chrome, brass, stainless or paint finish?

You can get a good non-fire hinge a bit cheaper.

Edit
Some examples

Prices seem to have gone up.

I have a box if you want a few at half price.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back