Replacing doors, hinges smaller

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Might seem like a stupid question. Replacing a load of internal doors. Existing hinges are 3 1/2" by 1". Hinges I got are 3" by 3/4". Existing hinges are looking tired and old, been there some time, so want to replace. My question is, should i be looking for same size of hinges to replace?

If so, anyone recommend where to buy them online and what to look for in a good quality hinge!? Looking chrome satin finish.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Oh one other thing I forgot to ask which is semi-related. What size of router bit should I be using for doing out the hinges. 6mm? Anyone recommend again a good set or bit to get?

The hinges don't need to be the same, assuming the ones you bought are suitable for the weight of door. Although you might want to get the same ones so they occupy the same rebate and use the same screw holes. Not essential though.

I use a 6mm router bit and finish off with a stanley knife / chisel. It's just a cheap bit from a cheap Chinese router set. But if you're clumsy with a router then you'll want to use a trimmer instead.

Quality hinges are usually washered , personally just use a sharp chisel and sometimes a thumb plane/router.

Sponsored Links
Problem I had with door I already replaced hinges down stairs last year was that the old hinge was thicker and newer hinge was not as thick aswell as being smaller HxW, so it was a bit of a nightmare to get it right with existing rebate. I got it up, but now after time its starting to give me problems. Was going to replace that hinge with new ones when I am doing other doors. So thinking about it now, I acutually want to get hinges of the same thickness so it sits nice and flush in the existing rebate.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back