Internal doors query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

In the next couple of weeks, I'll be having all seven of my internal doors replaced. Now, I'd like some advice please. I've purchased the doors that I'll be having installed. These are the standard 6-panel woodgrain effect (unglazed) types.

I'm currently in the market to buy the handles, hinges and latches for the seven doors and wanted to ask some questions about these. I've measured the hinges on my current doors and these are the standard 3 inch ones so I'm clear on what size I'll need.

When it comes to the handles and latches, I'm not really 'in the know' with whether I should be looking out for anything in particular - or looking to avoid. There are so many choices out there and I want to make sure I buy parts that will a) are compatible and b) not be too 'cheap and nasty'

In terms of the hinges, I've heard that the 'rollerball' ones are better quality than the standard ones. I really have no experience with this sort of thing so if someone could confirm whether this is correct, that would be great.

In terms of where I buy all these bits, I'm looking at Wickes, B&Q and Screwfix. I've seen some door handles, latches and hinges come in packs of three. I wasn't initially going to buy them this way as I know that sometimes this can be a false economy.

In terms of latches, are there any specific type that I should be looking for? I don't need all these bits to be top end but I also don't want to buy too cheap. If anyone has installed internal doors recently, or if any of you do it regularly (such as for a living etc.) any tips or hints on what to buy and what to avoid would be great :)

Sponsored Links
I would be concerned more with the door quality , there are some cack doors out there. Where did you get them ? Hollow lightweight?

Yes, ball-bearing hinges are excellent. Easiest way to get decent hinges at low cost is to use fire door hinges. You can get several types from Screwfix. (Someone around here is also always recommending 'lift off' hinges to make it easy to remove the door if you need to)

As for latches, get 'double sprung' or 'heavy duty' or 'architectural'. They might cost you a fiver each, but they're faaar better than a cheap B&Q single spring latch that goes weak and squeaky after a year (or less).
If you use door knobs you'll need a 5″ (127mm) latches, which you can pretty much only find online these days. For door handles you can use ordinary 3 inch latches. I bought my 'Zoo' latches from here, and they've proved very good indeed:
https://www.handles4u.co.uk/products/Door+Locks/Door+Latches

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back