Internal fire glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Whilst undergoing extension building regs has highlighted a glass panel above a first floor bedroom door, about 70x70cm. It needs to be filled or replaced with fire proof glass. Door is timber frame, original 1920s door, smoke alarms being fitted in all rooms. Builders have quoted £200 inc vat for replacing it with new glass. Is this something I can do myself for significantly cheaper?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm sure if you bought the glass yourself it would be cheaper. But there is more to it where fitting is concerned.
Take a look at this article and decide if you want to take the risk of a DIY job in a matter of fire safety.

Good Luck
Sound advice there but I bet my bottom dollar the builders will just take the bead off, change the glass and refit the bead! Bear in mind the cost of clear fire proof glass is about £££s/m2 I recall. Assuming it is clear we're talking about here?

Very helpful read, thanks.

Might give this one a miss to do it properly.

Yes, my concern is it will just be replaced with the beading, rather than proper seals that the article refers to.

Email sent to builder asking if the fitting involves necessary seals etc.

In the meantime I'll seek "permission" to see if I can just board it up...

Sponsored Links
Builders have confirmed 6mm tuff glass set with timber beading. Decided to take it out and board up myself.

Thanks for the advice.

Back