Internal load bearing wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
evening all

i'm in the process of getting quotes for a wall removal and wanted some advice on the process for a wall removal, involving a steel beam being fitted for support and building regs

My specific question is around a builder's offer to work with building regs and agree a beam size - which he states is likely to be achievable, if it isnt he has said he will engage a structural engineer.

Is this normal practice, will the inspector look at the builder's plan and sign it off without an engineer's plan? Should i just get my own structural engineer to spec the beam up and then go back to builder with the design?

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
It depends on the size of the opening and the loading it supports, but I've heard of it being done that way. People often appoint a structural engineer first to produce a drawing from which to go out and get quotes. If its just a small opening then a competent builder should be able to deal with it and pick a suitable lintel themself.
If the builder is quoting for the work then you need to make sure you know whether or not his quote includes any structural engineer's fees.

I think if you have trust in the builder, and he has a good relationship with BC and the job is straightforward then there is little point in having a structural engineer, because good builders have done the same thing many times.

When we opened ours up, (simple 2.7m opening in back of a 1902 semi) I did some on-line software beam calcs which then had holy water sprinkled on them by my C.Eng son (civil and structural). The calculated beam size from the software was identical to what my builder suggested, and council BC signed off without even asking to see my calcs, so expenditure on an SE would have been wasted.

I think if you have trust in the builder, and he has a good relationship with BC and the job is straightforward then there is little point in having a structural engineer, because good builders have done the same thing many times.

When we opened ours up, (simple 2.7m opening in back of a 1902 semi) I did some on-line software beam calcs which then had holy water sprinkled on them by my C.Eng son (civil and structural). The calculated beam size from the software was identical to what my builder suggested, and council BC signed off without even asking to see my calcs, so expenditure on an SE would have been wasted.
Got a link to the software?

Sponsored Links
I'm currently doing something similar (new doorway). I'm doing it under a building notice and my local building control are happy to inspect it first and then decide if calcs are needed. If not needed the spec of lintel would then be advised.

You don't say what the span is? Most BCOs will have a decent idea of beam size up to a certain point. At what point they get official depends on experience and the situation. Unfortunately there's no written cut-off point. I've had to calculate beams 2m in length because BCO insisted and I've seen beams 3.5m in length waved through.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back