Internal marks in double glazed units.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not a DIY question but....

I've had some double glazed units fitted to the back of my house by a local company. No problem with the general workmanship but I seem to be plagued with some rogue units which appear to have internal marks when the sun shines on them. As some of these are on the back door it is quite obvious. I've had them replaced once as there were some worse marks before. I've also noticed other marks on some of the other units and in some cases there is fluff inside. The supplier, so far, has been OK about replacing them but I'm still waiting for the last lot to go in.

My question is, having had glazing fitted many years ago without any problem at all with the glass, why should I suddenly have problems now? It seems as though the quality control has gone out of the window (sorry about that). I understand that since 2002 there is a requirement to fit heat reflective units that have an internal coating. Apparently this can cause a blue effect under certain conditions. I wonder if this process is introducing the problem I'm seeing.

I don't have much hope that the replacement units will be any better than the original ones - am I seeking perfection with no hope of achieving it?

I've looked around the web for similar problems but with out any joy so I thought I'd return to this esteemed forum for some expert advice!

Sponsored Links
You are right all down to quality control. Units are mechanically cleaned and dryed prior to fabrication there should be no marks and definately no fluff.

Coted glass does have a slight tint but this has nothing to do with your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back