New French Doors - mark inside double glazed unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I need to know if I'm being overly fussy here.

We've recently had French doors fitted and I've noticed either a smudge or condensation mark inside the actually double glazed unit.

I've also noticed the top of the unit looks a little out of line going into the top corner.

See pics. Is this going to get any worse?

Thank

Ian

Attachments

• 20210324_103247.jpg
    20210324_103247.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210324_111508.jpg
    20210324_111508.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 162
Sponsored Links
Well the smudge would annoy me and if condensation in the panes it will only get worse. Certainly speak to the installer.

The ' smudge ' looks like a mark on the ' planitherm ' surface ( low e coating ) BUT depending on your installer they may or may not replace it , which will depend on their glass supplier. Reason I say this is the GGF ( Glass and Glazing Federation) regulations, the regs state ( and I'm para phrasing here ... a mark is deemed acceptable in tough glass if it is not visible standing 3metres away from the glass , looking through the glass ( not directly at the glass ) , and also not in direct sunlight . It is also deemed ok if it is within 50mm of the edge of the glass. Now working in the industry, from that distance most marks aren't actually visible from 3mtrs away! Personally I would definetly try the installer but if knows the regulations then he could say it is deemed ok and be within his rights not to replace it. I know this isn't what you want to hear but I thought I'd just warn you....hopefully he will replace it , thankfully we have a good glass supplier and I know they would change that free of charge but some won't

Sponsored Links
Thanks Ronnie, yeah that's kinda my thinking after more research. With it being near the top of the frame I'm going to have blinds cover it so it's not really a big deal I guess.

My only worry is that it gets worse. If not I'll just leave it.

I did read about the 3m rule thing.

Thanks very much for that detailed explanation Ronnie. Really appreciate it.

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back