Internal Separating Wall Between Commercial & Residential Uses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks!

I'm extending into an area that will retain a concierge. The the concierge office is staying as commercial whilst the extension will obviously be residential. The architect has specified the internal separating wall as being 100mm Celcon blocks + 50mm cavity + 100mm Celcon blocks giving a 250mm width and I would be keen to reduce this as much as possible. The building requirements that he has given me are:

• 60 minutes fire resistance
  • 45dB airbourne sound

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions or know of a thin sound insulating product that could be used in combination with the blocks to achieve this?

Sponsored Links
Can't you get your architect to specify something that actually meets you're needs?

6" dense blocks?

Won't any masonry wall need a foundation?

You would have thought so, although in reality I'm telling him what to do. I redesigned the whole extension myself as what he did wasn't what I asked for and more worryingly it didn't take into account some of the services.

The 60 minute fire resistance is no problem it's the 45dB that's awkward as most blockwork products are benchmarked at the 40-43dB.

It won't need a footing as it's going on reinforced concrete and is non-loadbearing. I'd rather it's in blockwork as I prefer masonry walls to studwork

100mm concrete blocks will achieve 1hr, and maybe 45db with certain plaster or boards.
140mm blocks will do both unplastered. Plus intumescent perimeter seal.

But whether minimum is best is down to the designer. Under specifying will be difficult to remedy later.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody. Do you have links to those products? 150mm would be just about right in terms of there still being enough left after chasing out for sockets

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back