Block or Stud Walls - is builder correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My architect has specified block walls on the ground floor but the builder wants to use stud walls.

The garage conversion is having a second skin and the builder has suggested that it would be better to add studwork to the [existing] single skin and use 100mm thick insulation inside the studs. He says this will be just as good as the architects design which is to add internal 100mm blocks with a 50mm cavity and then plaster over 62.5mm Kingspan insulation.

Also he wants to use studded internal walls. He says they will not transmit so much noise. He says the block walls tend to vibrate and carry the noise. It all sounds plausible to me. Should I let him go ahead, or ask him to build exactly to the plans?

Sponsored Links
The denser the material or the greater the mass, the better the sound blocking qualities.

Your builder knows nothing about sound travel through buildings and even less about science.

Insist he uses blocks because I know I would. There may also be other reasons why masonry is required.

We used to live in a bungalow that had the internal walls built with Southwater engineering bricks. The soundproofing was really good, especially compared to timber stud walls.
Could be your builder is more of a chippy and prefers to build in stud.
As a bricklayer I always prefer to build in masonry.
As stated above, dense walls give the best soundproofing.

Sponsored Links
Its quicker and cheaper to build in timber but as already said it will not dampen the noise as well as solid block..

If it was my house It would be solid block

Concrete block or lightweight block?
From a sound perspective, I would choose a couple of layers of plasterboard and 100mm wool over breeze blocks and kingspan. Heavy concrete blocks would fare better, but I would still ditch the kingspan and go mineral wool and battens.

Thanks for the early replies. Are there any builders out there who have an opinion?
Hilarious!

OK, I'm new to all this, go easy on me! This is a big decision for us, these walls will be expected to last a lifetime and I need to be sure they're done properly.

Here's a picture from the architects drawings. This is what the architect has proposed for the garage walls.

[/img]

The builder wants to leave out the blockwork (but still have a 50mm airgap) and have 100mm wide studding filled with soft insulation and a layer of plasterboard over the top.

My architect has specified block walls on the ground floor but the builder wants to use stud walls ... Should I let him go ahead, or force him to build exactly to the plans?
Tell him it's really very simple, and the way it works is this:

The person paying for the work gets to specify it.

And that therefore he can put up stud walls if he pays for them.

that seems a long winded way of doing it why cant you just have blockwork with 100 mm cavity ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back