Internal sill installation - do I need dpm? Please see pics.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Any advice on this would be so appreciated as I am really unsure about this one.

I have a very small porch. The hallway in our bungalow had a door and frame level with the height of the hall which sat on the step (pictured). Under this was a dpm. I am making our porch open plan and am wondering if I still need a dpm under he sill. The old frame had a letter box in it which suggests to me that perhaps the old wooden frame was external and the porch was more of a shelter, though I cannot be sure. The house was built in 1976. There are now upvc doors on the other side of the tiles.

I have a new sill to install on this brick step but am unsure what to do if I need a dpm other than use L brackets attached to the sill underneath and then attach them to the front of the brick in the mortar, which I will then mortar over to hide them. This seems a lot of work, especially as the sill also requires some mortar under it to level it and I am worried i may not be able to attach it really securely.

In an ideal world I would drill through the sill into the brick and then fill the holes, but was not going to do this due to the dpm of course.

I would really appreciate any views, thoughts on this before I start, which will be today.

Many thanks,

Matt.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back