Internal sounder help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very old alarm system and I broke the 12v internal sounder while decorating. Everything still works but I only hear the faint beeping from the remote keypad when setting and entering. Outside sounder still fine. I bought a new piezo sounder, connected it up and ...nothing. Tried it directly onto the. 12v battery inside the alarm and just got an initial squeak/scratchy sound but no siren. Tried it on the battery of my car and it’s fine. Why won’t it work on the internal sounder to alarm battery? Could it be faulty?

8B6FA38E-869B-42DE-A9C7-A82600FCC093.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Edit: Alarm battery completely duff! It’s been running on mains power for years probably. Connected the sounder to the battery fly leads with the power on (I’d removed the fuse) and it’s all fine. Gotta be the battery - going out to pick one up from Toolstation later - hopefully that will be it.

Well, new battery in and no change! Must be something to do with the alarm can’t cope with the new sounder. Never mind, actually it’s worked out okay - better than its ever been. I’ve connected it to the outside sounder so on setting and entering, I’m only getting a gentle audible warning from the tiny speaker in the remote keypad instead of a bloop, bloop, bloop... from the internal sounder. It’s only been in for just under 30 years!

Probably .....but without seeing the old sounder ....it was a speaker not a sounder ....you are now trying to drive a sounder from a speaker drive

Sponsored Links
I would also check the battery charging circuit hasn’t blown.
Remove mains to see if the battery holds the alarm.

Probably .....but without seeing the old sounder ....it was a speaker not a sounder ....you are now trying to drive a sounder from a speaker drive
83374077-6EFE-4DCB-B432-A08CADC96B0E.jpeg

3C170456-06BC-49C6-8E12-E2A11E1C551F.jpeg

I would also check the battery charging circuit hasn’t blown.
Remove mains to see if the battery holds the alarm.
Will do - I’ll bring my multi tester home and check the charge rate. It was wired on terminals 10 and 11 but I ended up using the unused bell + and the bell - terminals. I guess this looks pretty basic compared to today’s control panels?

BD0F099C-9983-4544-AC98-4C9C9F351826.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s a speaker just order another ....check old one on ...ohms setting should be around 16....if not it’s blown...

Thanks but I think I’ll leave it as it is - much happier with the gentle setting and entry tone and the new sounder is a right screamer when the alarm triggers.

.... didn’t someone believe in tampers .... it even on the bell ....lol
I fitted this myself in 1990. Pretty sure I fitted a tamper on the original bell box (Nowhere else) but it was replaced by an alarm engineer (as a favour for a favour) to a more modern one with a current phone number about 10 years ago. I think he fitted a new battery in the panel at the same time too. He must have bypassed the tamper as he may have needed to use the wires for the new bell box gubbins - that odd-looking connector block/mini circuit board hanging above the battery wasn’t fitted by me. I might even get round to changing the code too - the 0,1,2 and 3 are practically worn off of the buttons now. :LOL::LOL:

It still has the factory fitted Bell tamper link ...And global link ...lol
Well, I DEFINITELY fitted a bell tamper - there’s a piece of card with my writing on it from 1990 inside, showing which wires were for what in the 6 core cable going up in the loft. Red and black bell, yellow and blue tamper and the other two were for a cheap flashing led that was permanently on! The engineer must have used one of the links I left inside the panel. Anyway, who needs a tamper circuit in a house? :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back