Internal studwork directly above internal brick wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to build an internal stud wall upstairs in my house in line with and directly above an internal single skin brick wall.

At first I thought it being above is ideal as it gives a really good support until I began thinking about how to attach the sole plate to the top of a brick wall.

I'm considering building it off the upstairs floor instead by inserting noggins between the joists and building off those.

Open to suggestions though. Does anybody have any?

Sponsored Links
If the joists run perpendicular to the stud wall your wanting to build then just attach the sole plate straight to them aslong as the spacing isn't huge, anything 600mm or less will be fine the wall only has to support its own weight.

They run parallel to the wall either side of it. Put noggins through and screw sole plate to the noggins?

Yes that would be fine just make sure there a decent size and well secured

Sponsored Links
I'll skew screw plenty of the biggest noggins I can fit in with some 6x100's and may even have some jiffy's kicking about if so I'll put some of them on.

Thanks!

What makes you think there isn’t a wall plate in place over the existing wall?

Blup

I don't remember seeing one when I replaced some bricks for a padstone for some steels. I went in on the intersection of 2 walls ("T-junction"). Maybe there was a plate further along? I didn't see it.

The joists run parallel with the wall, I see no reason for anyone to have installed a plate on that. Nothing would be on it... Don't think it would be useful unless they also installed straps. I'm pretty sure none of this has happened and there's just a single story single skin brick wall up to ceiling void level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back