Internal timber frame wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ...i put this in the carpentry section originally by accident!!

Hi all,
First post here so hello!

I am upgrading my old garage to accommodate a pitch roof(currently has a flat roof)
The garage is attached to my house and on the other side it is on the boundary wall.(i have gotten planning and all is Ok)
My draughtsman told me that the boundary wall is not really strong enough to take the pitch roof(pitch going from house to party wall...side abutment)..so he wants me to support the roof with a purlin running from the back wall to the front wall...24 foot.
My garage is 11 foot wide and the roof that will be going on it is regular slate...what dimension beam will i need and will i need to prop it in a few places?(he never supplied these details and hes a bit odd so im not asking him anymore!!)

Anyway ive also now being thinking instead of building a load bearing timber wall inside my current wall with either 2*4 or 2*6 @ 24" c/c.
If i build this wall.......
1. will i need to do something to strenghten the current concrete floor?
2. will i need to sheet the back of this wall and what spacing between this wall and the old external block wall.
3. what do you guys recommend for the internal gutter i will need.

Sorry for all the questions but i think thats it!!

Many thanks!
Marty.

Sponsored Links
i think you need a decent structural engineer/designer/architect.

to my knowledge, any structural load bearing wall requires a foundation, or at least a thickening of the floor slab.

as for the integral gutter, this is something you will have to design and build to suit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back