Internal upstairs wall removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two bedrooms divided by a 3m long dark grey crumbly block wall built directly on the floorboards which I plan to remove - no wall beneath.

The property was built in the early 60's and the roof construction does not have trusses - the rafters rest on the outer walls supported by 2 purlins and 3x2 joists span the 6m length between the outer walls. The wall I would like to remove is central to the 6m span.

Am I correct in assuming this wall is not actually supporting the rafters and tiles but does supply a level of support to the joists in the loft and therefore I should replace the wall with some support in the form of 2 off 6x2 wood beams bolted together? The loft is used for general storage - nothing heavy, no water tanks.

Any advice would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
The ceiling would probably sag if you remove the wall. Could you suspend the celing joists by timber hangers fixed to the ridge board?

Tony - thanks for your response. That was my worry and why I was going to replace the wall with a wooden beam to support the joists. Your suggestion is another option although this would impact the useful space in the loft. Was my assumption correct then that the joists are not there to support the rafters and tiles but purely to stop the rafters spreading off the outer walls and as a fixing point for the ceilings?

The ceiling joist are usually intended to tie the feet of the rafters together and so stop them spreading, as well as supporting the plasterwork.
If you dont want hangers in the loft, you could support them with a beam below the ceiling. On 3m span, a beam formed of a couple of 150 x 50 screwed together would do.
It could be left exposed and doesn't have to be plastered (as long as the loft is only used for storage, and not as habitable space).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back