Internal wall cavity below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I was struggling to find an appropriate title for this post, so hopefully the description here will clarify:

I've just built an single storey rear extension, which turned a 1 meter brick-cavity-block wall from external to internal as per the below diagram

Extension diagram.PNG

I want to keep that internal wall as separation for some kitchen units, but I wanted to remove the internal blocks and leave just the brickwork in order to gain another 250mm or so of space (block + cavity). My question is around the cavity that will remain at the floor level and below: should I fill it in in order to provide a more solid base for the sub-floor / insulation boards? And if so, what should I fill it in with? Any other options / considerations?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
How will you be supporting the the internal wall above what you are taking out?

Treat the cavity and internal block as you would a floor. DPM insulation screed.

Perhaps I wasn't very clear. The wall that became internal after the extension, consists of brick-cavity-block. There is no reason to keep the cavity and inner block since this is now a totally internal wall, so I want to remove the blocks. The cavity however continues below current floor level so I'm wondering how I can e.g. add floor insulation boards in that area since there will be the hole of what used to be the wall cavity. If I can fill in that cavity below floor level somehow then I have something more solid to support the floor insulation boards.

I hope this makes sense

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back