Internal wall (garage) needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to move my boiler into my garage and in the near-future, make a small amount of the garage into a utility room and downstairs toilet.

I'll probably need to position the boiler where a window is so I'll have to block that up. If the area in the garage shown is then made into a utility room, I'll need to build an internal wall as well.

My question is, can I just build up the window and then build a wooden frame and affix plasterboard with kingspan for insulation or will I need to build an internal wall from low density block? I prefer the latter option to be honest - seems more "substantial" to me. I guess the thermal block from Wickes should do fine. I've got a wall starter kit and some stainless steel ties. Can I now repeat my success with blocking up my old doorway? ;)

Sponsored Links
You can do either but best to check with your local building inspector to see what they want you to do :!:

Will he care about it if it's an internal wall just to hang the boiler on (for now anyway)?

When I'm ready to build the utility room, isn't it then time to involve the building inspector?

Sponsored Links
I would still pop down to your local planning department with a rough drawing plan of what you want to do saving you the hassles of knocking it down again if the building inspector is not happy :!:

I would also check with the plumbing corgi guys here regarding boiler on the garage wall, I have no idea regarding gas regulations & ventilation etc........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back