Garage Conversion Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for some advice, im considering converting my integral garage to a play room with a utility room at one end.

Basically i have access from the Hallway into the garage where at one end is the Washer / Dryer etc and boiler, i want to segregate this area off from the rest of the garage, would a Medium density block wall be better and cheaper than a Stud Wall ? i have done many stud walls so can do this myself, but would need a builder to do the blocks, and would med density or high density be best ? i intend to hang a 42 tv on one side.

Secondlly i intend to have the garage door bricked up so far then a full (garage door width) window put in and a new opeing put in from the hall between 2 storage cupboards then joist the floor to bring it up to the level of the current floor which is also on joists with floorboards.

Can anyone see any problems with this ? as i see it i think i only need building regs not planning, any thoughts ?

Im pretty good with DIY and will probably only get the block work done by a pro, the electrics are all in place already so wont need to touch them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Cant see any problems, You can build your stud wall from from 100mm cls insulate and double sheet.

You will need to continue the external wall insulation to the utility area, unless your new partition wall is insulated to external wall standard. In which case, blockwork won't do and it will need to be something such as 100mm timber with 100mm foil faced insulation

Check your house planning permission for any specific conditions relating to retaining a garage, or removal of PD rights

Sponsored Links
I might not have explained properly, basically the garage is already part of the house, and has access to the inside of the house via an internal door, the garage is below part of our bedroom and bathrooms, the exterior wall is double skinned (outer brick and internal block) the same as the lounge which is behind the garage, the garage is already up to spec re fire rating etc when built as it was built with living space above. does this alter the last posters advice ? cheers

I might not have explained properly, basically the garage is already part of the house, and has access to the inside of the house via an internal door, the garage is below part of our bedroom and bathrooms, the exterior wall is double skinned (outer brick and internal block) the same as the lounge which is behind the garage, the garage is already up to spec re fire rating etc when built as it was built with living space above. does this alter the last posters advice ? cheers

If there are external walls (and ground floors) then they will need to be insulated to current standards, or to a reasonable/feasible standard agreed with the council if you are creating habitable rooms

Ok thanks for that, what is the current standard ?

The outer wall is brick the inner is block, exactley the same as the rest of the house, what needs to be done to insulate to current standard ? i presumed it would just need boarding then plastering ? and the internal wall spliting the 2 areas up, wont really matter as its intenal on both sides ?

Obviously the floor will be raised on joists to bring it up to the height of the rest of the house which is also on joists.

There are lots of threads regarding garage conversions wither various insulation scenarios

If there are habitable rooms either side then you wont need to do the walls. Otherwise, assume 80mm of foil-backed board

And 100mm on the floor

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back