Internal wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice on super quilt insulation. I have a single brick building needed to be insulated. I was thinking of using super quilt insulation because it is 25mm thick which would give me maximum room. Would this work putting it on the inside of the wall and cladding over with timber. Any advice would be most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Form a new 100mm stud wall against the inner face of the existing wall.

You are best using foam board insulation, i.e. 100mm celotex or similar between studs with 40mm across the studs. Tape and seal all joints.

I wouldn't use quilt for this scenario at any price.

Multi foil insulation must be suspended with at least a 25mm air gap each side to be effective. This is a lot of work and takes a lot of space.

Personally I would use a thermal laminate board which can be fixed directly to the wall with mechanical fixings or, if the wall isn't too damp, adhesive. The laminate comes in 40, 50 or 60mm thicknesses and is finished with plasterboard which can be skimmed. I've specified it hundreds of times and it is a very simple and effective way to insulate solid walls with minimum loss of space.

Or you could use aerogel which is brilliant but costs a million pounds per square metre.

Personally I would use a thermal laminate board which can be fixed directly to the wall with mechanical fixings or, if the wall isn't too damp, adhesive.

Got any links or more info for this at all ?

Sponsored Links
Now bend over and I'll wipe your ar*e for you! :rolleyes: :LOL:

This is a forum for seeking advice and for giving it. Some people have been kind enough to do so.

Any monkey can type a search into Google but getting professional opinions, advice & recommendations is another thing altogether - which is why this forum exists. I dont know what your problem is to be honest.

This is a forum for seeking advice and for giving it. Some people have been kind enough to do so. Any monkey can type a search into Google but getting professional opinions, advice & recommendations is another thing altogether - which is why this forum exists. I dont know what your problem is to be honest.
Oh dear, I don’t think that’s very fair. FMT did give you the links after your 1st strop which I probably wouldn’t have done. Google would also have listed them so you could easily have “helped yourself”; he also gave you a :LOL: as well as the :rolleyes: + you did hijack someone else’s thread into the bargain. I don’t think FMT has any problems, he is a professional & is certainly no monkey.

Regular contributors don’t get paid for this (well I don’t anyway) & sometimes can appear a little blunt where "spoon feeding" is required but I think you owe FMT an apology.

Regular contributors don’t get paid for this (well I don’t anyway) & sometimes can appear a little blunt where "spoon feeding" is required but I think you owe FMT an apology.

I dont need spoon feeding thanks and I certainly didnt want any links from "FMT".
I wanted some links from jeds who seems to know his stuff and appeared to be referring to something specific - not some random Google search results for any insulation board going.

I didnt hijack this thread - I was going with the flow of the thread with the same subject matter. To be told to use Google is not why I'm here and it's not what I need thank you.

You hijacked a thread that you have not posted on before, you asked for generic links, no mention of U value required, thickness required, description of the existing wall construction, whether you are bonding or screw fixing, whether a new build extension or refurb etc etc.

As you say, any monkey can simply ask for some links, really though, whats the point in answering when you've not given anyone a clue as to why you require the boards, it takes an element of common sense to put together a meaningful request which yours most definitely was not. The more in depth your question, the more in depth the response shall be. You clearly have very little knowledge of the subject in question, that much is obvious from your most recent post.

The links I gave you are links to the 3 of the leading manufacturers of insulated plasterboard, it is your choice as to whether you trust them or not, I couldn't care less.

Still, I bow to the wave of other regulars jumping up and down to answer your original extremely generic question. ;)

I repeat - I didnt hijack the thread at all - helpful responses would have helped the op as well. And my request was not ambiguous either. jeds mentioned a specific type of laminate :-

All I simply asked for was for more info or some links to this product in particular. I can work the rest out myself (u-values, thickness etc) - I just needed the product name etc.

I do understand that people here provide advice for free - I do so myself in other forums in areas that I am savvy with so it's not as if I dont put anything in.

I repeat - I didnt hijack the thread at all - helpful responses would have helped the op as well. And my request was not ambiguous either. jeds mentioned a specific type of laminate

No, you're confused wwwebber that's not a specific product. It's a generic term for a product made by a number of manufacturers. Like saying use PIR insulation or mineral wool batt.

Now, apologise to Freddy and start behaving yourself :LOL: !

Try highlighting the entire description like this :

a thermal laminate board which can be fixed directly to the wall with mechanical fixings or, if the wall isn't too damp, adhesive. The laminate comes in 40, 50 or 60mm thicknesses and is finished with plasterboard which can be skimmed.

jeds obviosuly had something specific in mind - a particular brand maybe and it was that information that I was after. jeds should know as he says that he's specified it many times before. Not that he's likely to reply now that this thread is completely messed up.

Lastly, I'm a tad confused as to what I'm supposed to be apologsing for ?. Was it the monkey comment ? if it is then it wasnt meant that way. I was referring to anyone who uses Google - like myself for example - any monkey can use it as it's easy for example. I was not referring to FMT directly with this comment. If it was taken that way then I apologise and I will ensure that I am clearer in future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back