Internal wall load bearing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm trying to work out if my internal wall is load bearing. The joist above is parallel to the wall so my initial thought is no. However the joist is sat right on top of the top horizontal timber on the wall. In the photo with the green in it, the joist is also supported by the timber section to the left which looks like it should be the main load path, but it only has a out a 70mm overlap. I would have expected a Larger bearing surface area.

Any views?

Attachments

• 20200619_182637.jpg
    20200619_182637.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 20200619_182611.jpg
    20200619_182611.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
Stud walls can be removed yes. They are not load bearing. They are usually put in after the shell of the house has been built

What makes a stud wall able to bear loads is cladding it with timber sheet.

But whether that's been done here to make it load bearing, or because that's what they had lying around you won't know unless you investigate in the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Things that make me think it is not load bearing:

The top beam of the internal stud wall is split in the middle which makes me think it is not load bearing.

The ceiling joist is perpendicular running along the top of the stud wall with about a 50mm offset.

The vertical timbers are flexible and do not feel loaded.

The ceiling joist supported outboard of the stud wall.

Things that make me question the above:

The timber cladding. Could this be also because it is a kitchen wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back