Built in wardrobes - load bearing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In a relatively new build and wondered if my built in wardrobes would be load bearing? I say would, I mean would have, as I’ve already taken them out but looking for peace of mind

They ran across the loft joists but they back onto a longer wall which I would assume would be the load bearing one

The timber frame (with the metal studs) was sat on top of the floorboards at the bottom and through the bedroom plasterboard ceiling at the top

Am I in trouble or does this sound ok

I’ll try and work out how to add photos

Sponsored Links
C955F09F-6A76-43F2-A165-028E21FB021B.jpeg 283213D1-0541-4891-BC29-240FE46467D3.jpeg

As Matty said, absolutely not.
Built in wardrobes are not a structural element. (y)

Sponsored Links
Yeah I mean it looks clear cut but thought I’d check

I went and fitted loft legs to the joists in the loft, then 18mm P5 T&G chipboard on top then started noticing cracks along plasterboard joins in the ceiling below and around the lintels - nothing major but enough to make me remove all the legs and boards and never venture up there again ... I’m used to sturdy 1930s houses not timber and plasterboard Bellway houses - joists are only 85mm x 35mm so they’re not up to holding much

I did wonder whether the wardrobe might have impacted it but I suppose it’s just my work in the loft

Attachments

• AC3B3168-6C1B-409E-8832-77B9170D8D50.jpeg
    AC3B3168-6C1B-409E-8832-77B9170D8D50.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 103
If it’s a trussed roof (loft is full of W shape timbers) as implied by your joist section size it’ll be fine and wouldn’t need support mid span anyway. It rests on the external wall at each end.

If it’s a trussed roof (loft is full of W shape timbers) as implied by your joist section size it’ll be fine and wouldn’t need support mid span anyway. It rests on the external wall at each end.

yes it is and most of the cracks were at the front & back of the house despite the fact I was only ever in the middle section

strange but I’ve taken it out now - lesson learned! Thanks

Attachments

• 7E889594-AC27-4EBD-AB1A-E1461080CBBA.jpeg
    7E889594-AC27-4EBD-AB1A-E1461080CBBA.jpeg
    215.2 KB · Views: 115
Out of curiosity, what are those black things supporting the chipboard? got a linky?

And it really is curiosity because I no longer have a loft lol

As Matty said, absolutely not.
Built in wardrobes are not a structural element. (y)

They were in a house - dormer bungalow - we nearly bought 20 years ago. Had been extended on a "T". The gable to gable purlins had been cut and teed off. The corner joint was supported by a post that went down through the door post of the built in wardrobes in the room below, and was just supported by the ground floor ceiling joists. Pack of cards!. It was a repo and we got the price reduced from 95K to 42K, but in the end backed out...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back