Chimney Breast - Load Bearing or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I asked about this in an older post but rather than reopen an old post I thought it would be best to start a new post with some new information.

I have moved into an old Victorian house, which has two chimney breasts / fireplaces in the current bedrooms. I want to remove them to open up some more space in the bedrooms for wardrobes etc.

From what I gather, originally the chimney breasts / fireplaces raised up and curved to form one chimney stack which then shot up through the roof. The curved / arched section is visible from the hallway separating the two rooms on the ceiling. The breasts are also against a load bearing wall - not sure how it is tied to the wall. The other side of the load bearing wall is another room with no breast.

Around 40 odd years ago a loft conversion was carried out, so the chimney stack was completely removed from the roof, and was further taken down from inside the loft down to floor level (or ceiling level at ground floor). Then floorboards were just layed on top of existing joists and bridle to make the new rooms floor.

So all that remains is a breast in each room, with the arched section joining the two.

I'm looking to remove the chimney breasts but keep the load bearing wall obviously. I'd imagine I'd just be removing 3 sides unless the chimney is somehow not tied to the load bearing wall?

Does anyone have any knowledge if what is remaining is likely to be load bearing?

Very annoyingly I have already had a structural engineer take a look, and he couldn't tell me if it was or wasn't! And they aren't exactly cheap!

I have attached photos of the joists and bridle of what's left if that helps. Also a rough sketch of the floorplan. For reference the timber with the hammer lying on it is the bridle and the main joists run the other way. I can try to add more photos if nessessary but this was the best I could get without gutting out the room.

Hope someone can shed some light on this!

Thanks

Attachments

• PXL_20210807_143852316.jpg
    PXL_20210807_143852316.jpg
    508.3 KB · Views: 268
  • PXL_20210807_135412392.jpg
    PXL_20210807_135412392.jpg
    436.2 KB · Views: 252
  • PXL_20210807_130014374.jpg
    PXL_20210807_130014374.jpg
    516.1 KB · Views: 271
  • PXL_20220201_101128703.jpg
    PXL_20220201_101128703.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 294
  • PXL_20220201_102332394.jpg
    PXL_20220201_102332394.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
It looks as if the remnants of the chimney maybe offering support to the first floor timbers, so they may need some support if the chney below is taken out..
Well things are getting blurred by the malt, and a mega post did not help.

If the floor has been altered to bear on the remnant of the breast then it should be obvious. It seems an engineer had been out and presumably his retinas were working.

Well things are getting blurred by the malt, and a mega post did not help.

If the floor has been altered to bear on the remnant of the breast then it should be obvious. It seems an engineer had been out and presumably his retinas were working.

From the looks of it the floor has not been altered and looks original (minus the small bits of wood covering the hole of the chimney for the floor boards to lay on)

If the red bit is the breast to be removed what is happening where the green dot is?

Screenshot_20220214-093725~2.jpg

If the red bit is the breast to be removed what is happening where the green dot is?

View attachment 260849

Sorry should of made that bit clearer.

The green dot is where the load bearing wall is, which runs the length of the room.

The other side (bottom of the pic where the hammer is) is where the breast sits

The green dot is where the load bearing wall is, which runs the length of the room.

The other side (bottom of the pic where the hammer is) is where the breast sits

All of those timber joists are relying upon the chimney breast for support.

New timber will have to be added, properly keyed and bolted to the existing timbers.

Still clear as mud. But it looks like the joists are trimmed around the breast, if that's the breast and that's a trimmer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back