internet explorer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
when using ie7 on occasions it would for no reason open multiple tabs upto about 49 and i couldn't close them ,i have now got ie 8 and today it did the same thing and i couldn't close them and had to restart pc ,any 1 have any ideas why ? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
It's a browser hijack by some mild spyware.

Have you got any anti-spyware measures installed?

It's a browser hijack by some mild spyware.

Have you got any anti-spyware measures installed?

yes i have ad-aware 2008 and windows defender installed and run avast antivirus,i have also used mawarebityes anti-malware but still it keeps opening multiple tabs on occasions :confused:

1. Check the contents of your hosts file.
2. Install and run "Spybot Search & Destroy".

Sponsored Links
1. Check the contents of your hosts file.
2. Install and run "Spybot Search & Destroy".
installed Spybot Search & Destroy it found 3 traces of malware c called adware-alert do you think this was the cause of my problems ,cheers

Not necessarily. Using SS&D is just one in a series of steps that are worth taking to eliminate the easy-to-get-rid-of causes before moving onto a more labour-intensive means of cleansing.

Have you checked the hosts file yet?

Not necessarily. Using SS&D is just one in a series of steps that are worth taking to eliminate the easy-to-get-rid-of causes before moving onto a more labour-intensive means of cleansing.

Have you checked the hosts file yet?
where would one look for host files and what do i look for cheers :eek:

Location varies with operating system - which one are you running?

Then it's c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

The file is best opened using Wordpad.

An example of an ad-blocking hosts file is here:
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/Downloads/hosts127001.zip

but you might find that Spybot has inserted more than that already.

If you use the Spybot immunise feature then it will also mitigate browser hijacking.

Are you still getting the symptoms in IE?

That'll teach me not to read through the entire post first :eek: :rolleyes: :oops: I am though in the middle of finishing off 5 quotes for posting tomorrow, hence the careless skipping over the OP.

I use the plus version and have always found it very good, but I suppose it depends on how you set it up.

Sponsored Links
Back