IE7 not loading sites (Vista)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to troubleshoot a friends Toshiba laptop. Websites simply do not display in IE7, when opening IE the following standard error shows.

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

What you can try:
Diagnose Connection Problems

More information

Tried diagnosing connection probs, windows Network Diagnostics appears and states that it couldn't find a problem with the connection.

Indeed, I am currently typing this from the Toshiba using firefox, which works fine.

I've run win update, I've restored the advanced settings in Tools>Internet Options>Advanced, and I've also reset IE settings in the same (Advanced) tab.

Using a wireless connection with security currently disabled, wired connection doesn't work either, neither does the Speedtouch USB modem at my friends house. Although all of these were working fine until a few days ago.

The last thing she was doing before it broke? She doesn't know/remember.
:rolleyes:
The only thing I can't seem to be able to do is uninstall IE7 altogether. :evil:

My friend prefers IE to Firefox (gawd knows why!) so I really need to get this working.

Where do I go from here? All suggestions welcome.....

Sponsored Links
Thanks Doc. But alas, neither suggestion did the trick. IP browsing or new user. All add-ons are disabled when the settings are reset so it can't be any of those.

Stumped :confused:

This is going to be of no use to you whatsoever, but I had the same problem with my friend's laptop - and I gave up. Dunno if she ever got it fixed. If not, it'll be interesting to hear how you fix it. If she has, I'll tell you how she did it.

I'm so glad I'm on XP and Firefox..................... :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ok, I tried it in safe mode with networking, that connected ok, then I did a system restore back a few weeks and it's ok again. For now.
Now I'm a few weeks 'back in time' Vista is downloading windows updates. I'll let them install and see what happens on reboot.

Thanks all for help!

Alison556, I'm on XP with Firefox also. It's the way forward! ;)

Well, windows (re)installed 11 updates after I'd used system restore, and guess what? It's not working again!

Honestly, this Vista lark is a pile of ****. Or maybe it's IE7, or both. Extra security and flashy interface, my arse! :evil:

I'm on XP and IE7 and have found it all ok. Think i'll give Vista a wide berth:cool:

OK, for the record, I found out what the problem was....

Kaspersky and a certain IE update don't get along.

Can anyone recommend a good security app with decent parental controls? (NOT Norton!!!)

Vista and IE. :rolleyes:

They make poking yourself in the eye a prospect worth getting up early for.

I swear by AVG Free edition. I run that, PCTools Firewall and AVG anti-spyware, Spybot Search and Destroy and the PCTools firewall has an antispyware on it too.

No problems at all with it.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure I'll be posting up here in the next day or two telling you that everything has crashed and died. Nowt like jinxing your system!

I use avg on my system, but I really need an all in one program that includes parental controls for my friends system.

Sponsored Links
Back