internet TV - can I use wireless?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to take delivery of a panasonic LCD TV TXL37V10b...It has the capability to access the internet through an ethernet socket on the back of the TV. My PC is upstairs (along with the wifi router) and I do not wish to run a cable between the two. What are my options..? I've asked about a wifi dongle (ethernet one end, wifi adaptor at the other) in Maplins but all I got was blank looks. I've also heard that another wireless router could be setup to act as a bridge..no idea how to do this but I do have a spare netgear router.

I've acquired an RJ45(male)/USB(female) adapter and am now looking for a suitable USB dongle..most come with an installation CD which of course I can't use for the TV.....am I barking up the wrong tree or are there any just plug and play usb dongles..?
Any other options or advice most welcome

Sponsored Links
wireless bridge would be the way to go, the usb versions I have used all need drivers of some kind,

you would need to access the router via its IP address and put in the relevant info.
if you post what model it is, it may be more use, not all routers can act as a wireless bridge.

A wireless dongle isn't the right answer. It's a piece of dumb technology on it's own. It needs to be plugged in to a piece of smart technology (a PC) before it can function correctly. Don't waste your money. What you need is a wireless bridge A.K.A. a gaming adapter.

If you are going to use wireless for a live streaming application then there's a couple of things to remember.
1) a G or N wireless link is never as quick as the advertised speeds. Even if the router and adapter are right next to each other then they won't connect at the maximum speed. Maybe half. But the actual data transfer rate which is really what you are interested in is even lower. Wireless has very poor efficiency. Once you strip out the overheads then the real transfer rate is about 2.2Mbit for a G device rather than the advertised 54Mbit. Compare that to 50-70Mbit over a bit of wire and you can see the difference.

2) with a wireless PC or games console it doesn't matter much about fluctuations or even breaks in transmission because the receiving PC acts as a storage buffer. Streaming directly to a device that doesn't buffer the data means you'll see those hiccups.

Running a bit of wire might be a pain, but it will give you the most satisfying viewing experience. Wireless is a bit of a lottery.

Yes, you can turn a router in to a bridge. I looked at doing something similar for a project but decided that messing around with custom firmware and dropping right back to basic WEP network security just wasn't worth it. Your spare router might be different.

Thanks for your replies...The other router is also a G netgear.

I think from your comments that I will try to run the wire to the router...

Thanks again

Al

Sponsored Links
As the previous comment, streaming live content is a definite no no on wireless g unless you go for the likes of the Ruckus media flex kit which is widely used in Europe for streaming several HD streams. But again you have to combat the noise around your network, which isn't easy.

If you can run a Cat5 cable, then that is the best option. However if that is difficult, then why not use powerline kit with raw data rates of 200Mbps, it provides more than enough.

There are loads on manufactures out there.

Hi Thanks for these posts.....I going to try the cable method..I've ordered it..30 metres...I'll let you know how I get on...

Streaming live content on wireless is quite possible. I stream 720p compressed video and raw MPEG2 from DVB-T tuners over 802.11G without issues. Most online content will require significantly less bandwidth..

Hi Monkeh

Well done you! (not sarcastically either) :) What kit are you using?

I have ran in to numerous issues on client site trying to stream live TV, which is multiplied when living in a condensed residential area, using cordless phones, speakers, etc. I suppose if you wanted to do it yourself and are willing to accept that it might not be 100% all the time, ten go for it, but if wires is possible, then it's got to be your first choice. As lets face it, wireless is an emerging technology with new products being developed almost daily I prefer to use wired where possible and leave the wireless spectrum for devices that need wireless.
For example, I have my Xbox linked to my nexwork wirelessly and experience no issues 99% of the time, however that is buffered content.
However, each to their own I guess.

Hi Monkeh

Well done you! (not sarcastically either) :) What kit are you using?

A common wireless AP and a laptop. Nothing special. Broadcast quality TV is not high bitrate. Internet TV is even lower.

For example, I have my Xbox linked to my nexwork wirelessly and experience no issues 99% of the time, however that is buffered content.

Uhm, no, it isn't. Games are not buffered.

Uhm, no, it isn't. Games are not buffered.[/quote]

Well, from the fact that the original post was about TV I didnt mention what my media was. It is streaming movies and downloaded content. I will have to bow to your superior knowledge on the gaming side as I have never played on line. Have you used an Xbox for online gaming via wifi? If so what was your experince?

CP

Well, from the fact that the original post was about TV I didnt mention what my media was. It is streaming movies and downloaded content.

So, buffered, just like internet TV.

I will have to bow to your superior knowledge on the gaming side as I have never played on line. Have you used an Xbox for online gaming via wifi? If so what was your experince?

I have not. I do however use my PS3 wirelessly. For console games, wireless isn't an issue, there are far larger problems which negate latency and packet loss issues (poor controls, poor framerate, low resolution..).

So I bought 30 metres of cable.....£7.48 delivered..! seems to work ok...needed to download something called Twonky media server, it comes as part of the TV package (you get a code). and all as I say seems to work ok....can get at folders on my PC, Photos, Video, Music...not all formats of video or music files are supported so I'll have to do a bit of investigation on those. Now I need to run the cable so it can't be seen..my wife is not keen on the cable running from the bedroom down the stairs and into the lounge.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Might be a bit late, but an alternative to running cable is to buy a pair of these or similar. Cheaper models are available, that's just the first result I found. Google "Ethernet over mains" or similar.

Work a treat, plus you can run more than just the pair, for example to plug in a PC in another bedroom (might not be on all models though).

Colin C

Yes..I had a look at those, unfortunately the routers in the old part of the house and the TV in the Extension we had built..might be on different ring-main. I did not want to splash out £60 for these..."Twin Pack 85Mb Homeplug Ethernet Adapter Mark 2" and then find they did not work..

Thanks Al

Not an issue. I think they use the earth or neutral wire to transmit. My dad used them in a school on different phases and they worked fine.

Colin C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back