WiFi Bridges.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and Merry Xmas to one and all.

Have looked around on internet and serarched on here and am not really any wiser as to what to do.

I would like to connect Freesat box so can access Iplayer etc. Cannot easily hardwire from the router. Would also prefer not to use home plugs as it would be a PITA...

I have looked at Wifi Bridges here: http://www.wifibridge.co.uk/
Would one of these do the job?

The Foxsat box has ethernet and USB ports. Router is a Sky Netgear one approx 2yrs old, not sure of any greater details for this. The router is sited approx 3 metres from the Humax box.

Is it simply a case of configuring on a laptop then plug and go? Would the Wifi bridge be suitably fast enough for occassional use?

I would prefer any unit to be powered via the USB port if possible.

If any further details required please ask away.

I Thank You!

Sponsored Links
In theory wireless should be fast enough, but it can be very hit and miss. The thing with wireless is there are so many potential sources of interference; and because you can't see radio waves then its hard to know why the speed varies so much.

WiFi is the slowest way to connect. HomePlugs are much faster (and more secure). Ethernet cable is the fastest and most secure, and also the cheapest.

Laptops are okay running YouTube/iPlayer on wireless because they can buffer the signal. A Blu-ray player won't have that ability, so any dips in wireless speed will be seen as pauses in playback if the speed gets too low. The best you can do is try it. That wifi bridge is cheap enough and will do what you want. Have a read up about wireless security. Some of these devices are a bit fussy with the more secure versions of encryption.

The link you have gives setup instructions. Its all straightforward enough.

Sponsored Links
Lol... How many people run a home network on fibre? Getting them to consider Ethernet is hard enough when wireless is the lazy option..... that is until it falls over because of the cordless phones/ baby monitor/ wireless video sender / Bluetooth device / microwave / or next door putting their router on a clashing channel... ha ha ha

Well, you're the exception then because I don't know anyone else running a domestic home network on fibre. Some have fibre coming in to the house, but after that it's copper at either 10/100 or gigabit if it's one of my installs.

Thanks for replies, much appreciated.

Think I will give it a go and see how it is. Not got much to lose for £20......

Thanks again.

Cheers for input.

I realise require ethernet for connection, was hoping USB had enough ummphff for the wifi signal.

Flame, those 3m do not sound a lot, but with household intangibles it is closer to 10 and a whole lot of shenanigans!! :( The wife (and me for that matter) would not be entirely happy with the easy solution.

My fault I should of thought things thru before arriving at the present situation...!

Ta

Cheers for input.

I realise require ethernet for connection, was hoping USB had enough ummphff for the wifi signal.

Flame, those 3m do not sound a lot, but with household intangibles it is closer to 10 and a whole lot of shenanigans!! :( The wife (and me for that matter) would not be entirely happy with the easy solution.

My fault I should of thought things thru before arriving at the present situation...!

Ta

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back