Ip 65 downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whats the difference between ip64 and ip44 downlighters, reason I ask is in the recent PIR I had done the downlighters were put down as a code 2, I gather I don't have correct code 2 they are only advisory but I like to have things as they should be so I wondered if its possible to buy the parts to make the lights Ip65.

Sponsored Links
bryan walker said:
Whats the difference between ip64 and ip44 downlighters,
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/IPNumbers.htm

reason I ask is in the recent PIR I had done the downlighters were put down as a code 2, I gather I don't have correct code 2 they are only advisory but I like to have things as they should be
Where are the downlighters, and why did the inspector believe thay should offer greater protection against mechanical ingress?

so I wondered if its possible to buy the parts to make the lights Ip65.
Almost certainly not.

The spark who did the PIR said ''any lighting in zone 2 should be protected against water jets the 6 part of IP65 isn't relevant but that is usually that's all what's available''. I've found a place called lighting innovations on Ebay who can supply the neccesary parts to convert 6 down lighters to ipx5 for £24 but basically all that's needed is a rubber gasket to seal the light to the ceiling and some rubber shrouds for the connections. I'm going to make some gaskets and cover the connections in heatshrink that should satisfy him.

Its only necessary for lights in zone 2 to be IP65 if water jets are deemed likely, otherwise IP44 is sufficent

Unless you have a penchant for hosing your ceiling clean....

Sponsored Links
bryan walker said:
The spark who did the PIR said ''any lighting in zone 2 should be protected against water jets the 6 part of IP65 isn't relevant but that is usually that's all what's available''.
Well that wasn't what you asked...

And the regs do not require IPx5.

I've found a place called lighting innovations on Ebay who can supply the neccesary parts to convert 6 down lighters to ipx5 for £24 but basically all that's needed is a rubber gasket to seal the light to the ceiling and some rubber shrouds for the connections. I'm going to make some gaskets and cover the connections in heatshrink that should satisfy him.
If you're only doing this to satisfy him, ask him on what grounds he is telling you to make improvements beyond the requirements of the wiring regs.

If you're doing it because you want to anyway then maybe you should buy the proper items, not try and make them yourself.

Adam don't you wash your bathroom ceiling with the shower, save's reaching up with a mop :LOL:
Sorry ban all sheds typo, message should of said the same as the topic title IP65. ;) Anyway can't see the point of spending when I get all the materials I need for free especially since I'm moving out.

Sorry - didn't read the title....

It's all a bit daft, really - what expertise does the electrician have that enables him to determine if a modified IPx4 luminaire now qualifies as IPx5?

Common sense I suppose. I mean you know if a fitting would withstand a jet of water wouldnt you? Otherwise you would just use the correct fittings which are not that dear are they lets be honest.

job n knock , Normally I wouldn't quibble over £24 but the bloke who's buying my house has been a right w****R and I want to give him little as possible. Plus I'm a naturalized yorkshireman ''owt for nowt''. :)

Job_n_knock said:
Common sense I suppose. I mean you know if a fitting would withstand a jet of water wouldnt you?
No - that's why products are marked to say what standards they meet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back