IP addresses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was just reading about the IP addresses in the general discussion forum. What is the score with these? As I understand AOL UK just issue any available IP address to my adsl modem when it connects hence will be different every time I connect? Is it possible to have a fixed IP address with AOL? Also, how do you tell the IP address of a post?, or is that one of the things only mods / admin can do.

Sponsored Links
Only us moderators and admin can see IP addresses for posts.

MOD.
Was it wise to relate that two posters had the same IP address?
No need to underline the patently obvious...

I think Diynot should lock those two threads in the general discussion area, thereby reducing the chance - however slender - that the whole thing goes too far...

-

Oh yes, triffic idea - pre-emptive modding now. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
Hi, I was just reading about the IP addresses in the general discussion forum. What is the score with these? As I understand AOL UK just issue any available IP address to my adsl modem when it connects hence will be different every time I connect? Is it possible to have a fixed IP address with AOL? Also, how do you tell the IP address of a post?, or is that one of the things only mods / admin can do.

some isp's will give out static ip addresses some charge for it and some do it free if you ask

just call aol and ask em whether they do it or not or buy a router that has a mains plug and never turn it off and you will pretty much have a static ip

I have a dynamic IP with my ISP and use www.dyndns.com

This is basically a service which my router supports - whenever it connectes to the internet it sends my newly allocated IP address to dyndns so that I can track it down with a more memorable static hostname like keifster.is-a-geek.com

keifster said:
I have a dynamic IP with my ISP and use www.dyndns.com

This is basically a service which my router supports - whenever it connectes to the internet it sends my newly allocated IP address to dyndns so that I can track it down with a more memorable static hostname like keifster.is-a-geek.com

Yes, i've used this myself to reasonable affect. The problem you might experience is that when your ip address changes, your dns cache is likely to become invalid for a time. This will resolve itself, but can cause a logical disconnection for a period of time. The other way to speed up the DNS resolution is to flush the DNS cache manually (ipconfig /flushdns). You don't need to have a supported router to use this service as you can install a client on the host, although it's not as flexible.

Back