IP POE Cam - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm interested in a riolink ip poe cam..

What i wanted to know is whether these ip poe cameras will work by simply inserting and ethernet cable from my wifi modem into the back of the camera?

Or do i need any additional equipment?

Also, what would be the best /most conventional method to connect the camera, if my camera is attached to the soffit (at loft height) but my modem is wired and on the ground floor?

Sponsored Links
normally no.

the camera needs power, if your router has POE then it will work if the power the camera needs doesn't exceed the POE being used.

some cameras have the option of a 12VDC connection as well as the ethernet connection

yeah only ever come across one router that was capable of powering a camera and I was surprised.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys

Ideally i would like to install my cams on the soffit. For a clean install, I'd have to have the router in my loft area. However, my WiFi modem is on my ground floor.

Is there a way to make this work without running a long ethernet cable from my modem to the poe router?

do you have sockets in loft?
No, i do not have a plug at present.

But i planned on adding one via an fcu in the near future. Guess i will have to prioritise this job :D

Out of curiosity is there another way?

even a wifi camera needs power.

so the question is how are you So you could plug it in to a socket in the bedrooto power the camera.
easiest way for a POE camera, is plug it into a POE switch/ injector.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Richer-R-Injector-Ethernet-Adapter-Wireless/dp/B07F12H9GF/

this link is a single unit, one cable to the router, other cable to the camera.

Now it has to be plugged in so it can be powered, the cables can be run to it.

You can shorten the cable run by getting it close to the camera, but you still need to plug it in, you could use ethernet over mains to get the signal from one part of the home to the other without running cables (uses mains cables), but you still need to plug it in.

so you could plug it into a socket in the bedroom run the cable outside and fix to the camera?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back