Additional Poe on cat6 feed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a hikvision Bullet cam running off a cat6 feed using poe on about an 80 metre run.
However I want to extend my WiFi mesh to the same area and splice into this and split into two connections. As I don't have power there of course j can't do it via a hub /switch.

My questions are.

Will the distance affect a ubiquiti mesh antenna and cctv cam hanging off this same cable as they will of course both ve drawing off the poe feed.

What method do I used to splice and feed both?

Tia!

Sponsored Links
First of all I'd measure the voltage at the camera, as I suspect there will be a significant voltage drop at the end of 80m.

Then using the current consumption specs of the two devices, you can calculate what the terminal voltage will be with both connected. e.g. if they both take the same current the voltage drop will be twice as much and may not be sufficent to feed them both.

I'm assuming you only want to supply DC to the mesh device and not a network feed as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back