Splitting cat6 poe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK my brain hurts. I have a CCTV cam and wish to extend Wifi so i want to add a Ubiquiti Mesh AP to the same area. At there is only one Cat6 i was intending to split this to Cat568b at the CCTV end to supply Wifi AP also. Will poe work let alone supply current?

Something like this

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Not usually like that.

There are several variants of Power Over Ethernet.

Alternative A transports power on the same wires as data for 10 and 100 Mbit/s Ethernet variants, so you could use the cable splitting technique to make two 2-pair cables from one 4-pair cable.

Alternative B separates the data and the power conductors, and uses all four twisted pairs in a typical Cat 5 cable. The positive voltage runs along pins 4 and 5, and the negative along pins 7 and 8, so you couldn't split the cable.

For Gigabit Ethernet and faster, all four pairs are used for data transmission, and for 4PPoE all four pairs are used for power transmission, so you couldn't split the cable here either. This enables higher power for applications like PTZ cameras, high-performance wireless access points, or even charging laptop batteries.

Also, PoE devices have resistors in to signal to the power supply what type of power they need. This probably rules out splitting the power to multiple devices without using a POE-powered PoE-supplying network switch/hub. I don't know if such a thing exists or how much it costs.

(from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_over_Ethernet )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back