IP Rating requirement for Garage/Workshop Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to have mains installed in a detached brick built garage which will primarily be a workshop. I have had a couple of sparks in to quote and they have specified different CU's with different IP ratings. So, question for the sparks on here; Is there a specified requirement for the IP rating for electrics (particularly the CU) in a garage or workshop?

Sponsored Links
Well this is the list of rates where doyou think it needs to be?

My assumption is IP4 unless your workshop activities include pressure washer.
1712911000537.png

The minimum is IP4X on the top surface and IP2XC on all other surfaces. What have they quoted?
Those IP ratings refer to any holes etc that may have been made for cables etc. Assuming your garage is waterproof, and you aren't planning to spray water everywhere, then no specific IP rating is necessary. ie no need for a weathertight/weatherproof enclosure.

Sponsored Links
Unless they are claiming you need an IP rated CU, it may be a case of the CUs they propose to use have IP ratings even though such is not actually required for the application. As others have said, if it's not being used in a situation where such is required, there is no need for an IP rated CU.
A bit like a car salesman stating a new car can travel at 135mph even though the driver intends to drive at no more than 70mph

Unless they are claiming you need an IP rated CU ...
It may seem a bit pedantic, but it makes me shiver a bit, and makes me wonder whether some might get confused as a result, when I see people talking about "IP rated" items ...

... every electrical item under the sun has (or could be given) an IP rating (hence is "IP rated"), even if that rating is IP00 (no protection against anything). When (like it your post) people talk about "IP-rated items", what they obviously mean is 'having an IP rating at least as high as some (unstated)level" - but some people might not understand that, and might think that an item with any IP rating (no matter how 'loiw' a rating) is suitable for their purpose.

Kind Regards, John

Well this is the list of rates where doyou think it needs to be?

My assumption is IP4 unless your workshop activities include pressure washer.
View attachment 339906
I would possibly say a case could be made for 5/4 or even 6/4 given that workshop activity could produce a lot of dust.
That's why I asked the question of what the regs require in either a garage or workshop environment. I would, I guess have to go for whichever is higher.

... it's a bit like the way a good few marketing/advertising people are using the word "quality" these days. It's quite common in things like TV ads to hear people say things like "It is a QUALITY product", with a lot of emphasis on the word "quality".

... but, I ask myself, what sort of "quality" are they talking about? I obviously know what they are trying to say, but in addition to things like "good quality" and "excellent quality", there are also other possibilities such as "poor quality" and "awful quality" :)

Thanks, I don't have access at the moment but I think they both exceeded that.
I think you can be reassured, since it would be ridiculous for anyone to manufacture (and sell in the UK, or most other places) a CU which did not meet those minimum requirements, since it could never be compliant with UK regulations.

It may seem a bit pedantic, but it makes me shiver a bit, and makes me wonder whether some might get confused as a result, when I see people talking about "IP rated" items ...

... every electrical item under the sun has (or could be given) an IP rating (hence is "IP rated"), even if that rating is IP00 (no protection against anything). When (like it your post) people talk about "IP-rated items", what they obviously mean is 'having an IP rating at least as high as some (unstated)level" - but some people might not understand that, and might think that an item with any IP rating (no matter how 'loiw' a rating) is suitable for their purpose.

Kind Regards, John
I understand where you are coming from but I'm asking "what" the IP rating is required to be, not "IF" it has one.

I think you can be reassured, since it would be ridiculous for anyone to manufacture (and sell in the UK, or most other places) a CU which did not meet those minimum requirements, since it could never be compliant with UK regulations.
Assuming purchased from a reputable source. I have had a look on eBay and there are definitely some shady ones on there at ridiculously cheap prices. I doubt they are compliant with many regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back