IP65 outdoor socket

I'm aware of neither an explicit prohibition of "naked" installation, nor an explicit requirement for a rear enclosure, so on that basis it is allowed by BS7671 (subject to catch-all stuff abut workmanship, access to live parts etc).

It's rarely an issue of genuine concern, so tricky is it (I know, I've tried) to cut a hole large enough for a socket but small enough to leave material for screwing into.

Sponsored Links
I'm aware of neither an explicit prohibition of "naked" installation, nor an explicit requirement for a rear enclosure, so on that basis it is allowed by BS7671 (subject to catch-all stuff abut workmanship, access to live parts etc).
Fair enough - as I said, I could not find any explicit regulations about it, either way.
It's rarely an issue of genuine concern, so tricky is it (I know, I've tried) to cut a hole large enough for a socket but small enough to leave material for screwing into.
True - although the previous owner of this house (or those who worked for him) clearly managed, even in L&P walls. I don't think I've ever tried it in a (house) wall. However, I have done so in the walls of wooden (probably plywood) and (probably more often) plastic 'boxes' and it's not to bad if one shapes the hole specifically to include 'fixing lugs'. As for the OP's situation (and the socket he proposed to use), I would have thought it would be extremely difficult in masonry - the fixing holes in the socket he found look 'orribly close to the large circular hole he would have to create in the masonry!

Kind Regards, John

AIUI masonary tends to fall into that nasty middle ground of conductivity. not conductive enough for effective protective earthing, not insulating enough to form an effective insulation barrier.

As such I would not consider it a means of protection against electric shock. I would also not consider the insulation on the cores and the mechanical stability of the wiring in a domestical electrical accessory to be adequate as the sole means of protection from electric shock.

Therefore I would consider a socket mounted without a backbox in a masonary wall to have inadequate protection against electric shock.

Sponsored Links
... Therefore I would consider a socket mounted without a backbox in a masonary wall to have inadequate protection against electric shock.
As you will see from what I've written, I'm personally inclined to agree. As is the case with so many things, the risks are probably extremely small, but they are not non-existent.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back