IP65 Rotary Isolator with Back Entry?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Being very careful with wording but I'm looking for a rotary isolator which allows the feed cable to enter from the rear (i.e. Through the wall).

I believe not all rotary isolators have this capability. Does anyone know a brand that does?

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
Need to agree the final cable size with a spark when I get one sorted out but the power is only feeding an air conditioning inverter running at 4amps, so probably a 1.5mm or 2.5mm T&E cable into the isolator and then an appropriate cable onto the unit.

I'm just trying to get all the prep sorted and know what I need.

Thanks

Inside or outside?

If the cable hasn't even been put in yet, would you consider running the cable into the bottom of the isolator, via a gland?

Most isolators are capable of accepting a hole drilled in the back of them.

Waterproof compound makes a good seal round cable entries outside.

Sponsored Links
Seems to me that relying on sealant to keep water out, in effect for ever, is a poor substitute for relying on gravity to keep working.

Go for a higher amp rating than needed, tends to have a bigger casing and usually room for a hole via the back,

If it's outside, and you have a cable coming out the bottom for the A/C anyway, I would be coming out the wall below the isolator and entering the bottom via a TRS gland.

Hi,

Thanks all for the replies.

I think I am going to go with the cable (2.5 T&E) into the bottom of the rotary isolator. Couple of questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a good quality 20a IP65 rotary isolator?

2. I've got an electrician lined up to connect up next week but just want to make sure I have everything needed. Daft question but if the cable comes out of the wall 10cm say below the isolator, what other bits do I need to protect the cable and enter the isolator correctly?

Hope you can help.

Many thanks,

Damian

1. Can anyone recommend a good quality 20a IP65 rotary isolator?
Why not ask your electrician? He may have preferences. In fact, why not have him supply it? He'll pay less than you, and that way you will get a warranty.

2. I've got an electrician lined up to connect up next week but just want to make sure I have everything needed.
It's your electrician's job to ensure he has everything needed.

As cheesy as it sounds, I think if I can get all the answers on this forum, it will stop me getting an inferior job done!

Note to self: must get checked out for control freak behaviour!

Most electricians will not thank you for getting materials ready. Nor will they take kindly to you telling them how to do the job. Indeed, many will walk away.

Fair comments, can't argue.

Had another electrician to quote this week and he proposed taking a 1.5mm 3 core NYY-J cable from the FCU through the wall and up into an isolator with a suitable gland (wall hole sealed with silicone). Same cable type out of the isolator into the air con unit.

Suggested using a Craig and Derricott isolator.

Seemed sensible, so will go with this.

Thanks for the comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back