Running cable through and along outside wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to run a cable from the back of an FCO, through a masonry wall and then 300mm or so along the outdoor wall to a rotary isolator.

Thought I'd sleeve through the wall as good practice and seal at each end. I have some NYY-J cable which I initially thought I would use (minimal risk of external interference on the outside wall) but the bend radius will make it difficult to get a neat finish and drip point on exiting the wall.

Is the alternative to use some t&e and drop this into the back of a plastic conduit terminal box and run some 20mm conduit into the isolator. No sure if this will maintain the IP66 rating of the isolator but a small drain hole in the bottom of the terminal box should remove any risk.

Is there any alternative or better approach?

Many thanks,

Damian

Sponsored Links
What does FCO stand for?

Flexible cable, that is suitable for the environment is normally used.
What sort of load are we talking about.

1.0mm2 rubber flex would normally meet the requirements of external environment (solar and frost damage).
And will generally carry 7A load(check manufacturers rating of cable).

If the cable is to be routed in an area where there is a potential risk of mechanical damage, it would be wise to address that also.

Sponsored Links
Drill your hole at necessary angle. Sleeving is not really necessary.

Thanks.

Is 20mm black conduit sufficient if there was a risk of mechanical damage? I think you can get high impact pvc but not sure if UV stable.

Metallic conduit yes, it would be wise to bond this type of conduit to earth.
The conduit must be anti-corrosive for external use.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back