IPOD Charger Warning!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all.

Hope you are all having a good Christmas. But i thought this needed to go on here as many of you will have or may know someone that has an Apple charger.

I plugged my Ipad in to charge last night and came down stairs to find this:

The Fuse board didnt cut out which led me to believe the fault is with the Plug. When i looked closer which is the next pic you might be able to make out that in the bottom left of the picture (the burnt area) next to the resistors which are still there, there are 2 holes and a picture of a resisitor but its actually missing (very faint black rectangle):

Ive tested the socket and everyother socket in my kitchen and everything is fine but these plugs have potential to cause some serious damage.

Ive got more pics if anyone wants any more detail but im about to rip the guy who sold them me a new arse hole!!!! Then im drinking for the rest of the day to celebrate the rest of this fine holiday.
Merry Christmas all, especially to the alert 5 sparkys (and plumbers) who are on call through the holidays.

Sponsored Links
We are all told not to leave stuff plugged in unattended yet we have items with standby settings clearly made to be left plugged in 24/7.

I never switch off my router or the supply to my HDD/DVD recorder I am sure many do the same. We all realise these items can go wrong and we rely on the built in safeties working.

Many plug in units have a simple spring soldered onto a contact so overheating will melt solder and so it will lose contact.

However what you show is really bad not because it failed that's a fact of life but in that it did not fail safe. The part of the plug left in the socket would be lethal if a child touched the exposed live parts and so this really needs the HSE involvement so these items can all be withdrawn from service.

It's not the fact that it failed but that when it failed it exposed live parts.

Ive just bust open a second one (i bought 3) and found signs of burning:

Needless to say the third one is now in safe hands.

I know the obvious crime in that picture is the pink laptop but it is the wifes.

Sponsored Links
Is that a genuine Apple charger, or a FleaBay special?

I've just found out they are flea bay specials but they were advertised as official. The seller will be getting a world of hurt opened up on him. I need to add though I do have 2 official Apple ones and they have worked fine for years. Sorry Apple.

You pays your money, you takes your chance.

As always, one has to take items, especially electrical items, bought from the likes of fleabay as "dodgy". I'm sure the domestic insurance companies would love to use that as an exclusion clause "after the event"

Anything to get out of paying if anything went wrong. I always buy official Apple and these were advertised as official iPad chargers which I now know was completely bull. So at least I can claim the money back but my main concern if how dangerous this was. I have 3 children so luckily the plug socket is out of arms way and i was the first to find it. Anyway email has been sent so let's see what happens.
I've opened up the 3rd one and everything is ok with that one but still it's been put with the other 2 and will be going back if they request.

I always buy official Apple and these were advertised as official iPad chargers which I now know was completely bull

FYI unless you have an iPad mini, the iPad charger is a two-parter as its 12w rather than the typical 5w

MD836_GEO_GB

I plugged my Ipad in to charge last night and came down stairs to find this:

No excuse for what happened but the IPad charger is a substantially larger device rated at 10W.
This one looks like the standard 5v 1A USB charger so maybe not suitable for the iPad and not having proper overload protection.....

Frank

Ive got more pics if anyone wants any more detail but im about to rip the guy who sold them me a new a**e hole!!!!

I woulnd't give him the opportunity to hide the rest of his stock - I'd go straight to Trading Standards at the seller's home local authority (and cc in the local fire prevention officer)

Ive got more pics if anyone wants any more detail but im about to rip the guy who sold them me a new a**e hole!!!!

I woulnd't give him the opportunity to hide the rest of his stock - I'd go straight to Trading Standards at the seller's home local authority (and cc in the local fire prevention officer)

That's assuming a UK seller....

The official chargers from the apple store are only £15, free delivery if you order today. You have to ask why are the ebay ones cheaper, OK some may be official apple ones but there's a lot of cheaper fakes out there.
With ebay you pay your money and take a chance!

My Ipad (3rd gen) came with a 10w charger which is double the size of a normal iphone charger. I believe the 4th gen come with a 12w charger however the 12w one is fine for charging instead of a 10w one.

As I said failing is not the issue it's the fact that it failed exposing live terminals. Please do alert trading standards these are clearly very dangerous and need withdrawing from service.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back