can I charge ipod touch from camera charger

Min

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually charge my ipod touch via USB port on my laptop.

I'm going on holiday and not taking lappie with me, but my camera has a charger that is simply a mains plug with a USB socket in the back of it. It says output is 5V, .55A.

Is it ok to use that to charge the ipod?

Thanks

Mary

Sponsored Links
Well I have my own answer: yes!

Had read some posts on other forums which say it doesn't work, but since output only .55A I thought it won't blow the ipod up.

Lat night I plugged the ipod touch in and nothing appeared to be happening - no tone or icon to show it was charging. But this morning the battery is fully charged.

:D

I'm not certain what power an ipod touch charger is but the charger for an ipad has a higher watts output than one for an iphone, so my phone charges faster using the "wrong" charger. Have a look at the stamp on your ipod charger and see what watts it is. If your camera one is less, it'll probably charge it, but slower. There'll maybe be a point that it won't work, cos, for example, my ipad won't charge using the usb on my pc.

No charger with ipod touch - just a USB cable - hence inability to check power rating :(

Sponsored Links
If I remember correctly, the USB Standard specifies a power output of 500mA (0.5A) so the Ipad *should* charge OK from your camera PSU

Apple computers supply higher currents through their USB sockets so are able to charge an iPad. Windows computers, and the many 'standard' USB chargers cannot.

The USB standard is to supply 1 amp, (5W). any port or hub displaying the USB logo, is claiming to adhere to the standard - so should provide the juice. You will not harm anything by trying.

Nozzle

From an Apple support document-
iPad is designed to charge with the USB power adapter provided in the box. iPad will charge with any Apple USB Power Adapter and will also charge, although more slowly, when attached to a computer with a high-power USB port. When attached to a computer through a standard USB port (most PCs or earlier Mac computers) iPad will charge, but only when it's in sleep mode. Make sure your computer is on while charging iPad through USB. If iPad is connected to a computer that’s turned off or is in sleep or standby mode, the iPad battery will continue to drain.

Apple computers supply higher currents through their USB sockets so are able to charge an iPad. Windows computers, and the many 'standard' USB chargers cannot.

Bullshit. Windows computers are more than capable of supplying higher currents from their USB ports, and many do.

I think that there is more to a proper apple charger than just a 5v psu, I read somewhere that there are resistors connecting to the data lines which tell the iPod to charge.

Sponsored Links
Back