IP's not the same on wireless set-up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

My laptops internal IP address is different to its external IP now that I have added a wireless router. This is giving me problems when trying to 'host' multiplayer games, do some sites hold your IP for log-in matching as I am finding it difficult to log in now ????
I am trying to get into the options menu for the bt voyager router and the default admin/admin passwords dont work ? error 401.

Any ideas on how I can sort this please ?
Thanks in advance for any advice etc.

Sponsored Links
The IP for your laptop is it's network IP (not the same as the internet IP) and you have a network connection to your router which is what connects to the internet. Therefore you need to specify your router's internet IP. You should be able to find this by going into the software for your router and checking for your network settings. Alternatively you may also find these in your network settings in windows or with your WIFI software on your laptop. It depends on your setup really, but hopefully that'll point you in the right direction...

Hi

You need to ensure that UPnP is enabled in your router settings.
This works for most games as they are often UPnP compatible.
I have no issues with CoD etc - they all worked straight out of the box - so to speak.

Failing this you need to read your router manual and set up 'Port Forwarding'. This tells the router where to direct the incoming data to on your network (ie - your PC).
This is because your 'old' IP address now belongs to your router - so when the outside world contacts you IP address it contacts the router instead of your PC as would have been the case originally.

Hope this helps to get you up and running.

Regards
MGFDude :)

Sponsored Links
Thank you for the help, a bit beyond me.

Looks like I will have to get someone 'in' to set it all up properly :eek: .

Thanks again.
Mark.

Back