IR results

mst

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,one of this weeks job i had to wire a cooker (in short) and i was getting IR test results as low as 10 meg ohms on all 3 tests.

I did sight down through the cable although most of it is clipped behind plaster.

Would be a bit of a bind to put a new radial in. But ive never had a test result this low before. And though its above the minimum result i am still questioning it.

O fcourse the cooker was discounnected and the switch was in the on postion when i done the test.

What would you do?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I personally would not be concerened by those readings (unless it was a newly installed circuit). Providing you have had a good look at the circuit and can see nothing untoward, then just record your findings on the certificate.

Retest with the switch off that will eliminate the cooker feed or the supply cable.
Also- is there a neon indicator on switch this will give a low reading P-N

When you say cooker was disconnected was that at the outlet or at the cooker?

Sponsored Links
Thanks gents,

Yes it was coming out of the wall plate into the cooker. The cooker was disconnected so i had a full run for the reading. No there was no neon.

It wasnt a new circuit i put in (although i did run a new ring in) which tested perfectly.also i did add a garage unit to it for RCD protection to the ring and also put the cooker on the RCD too ,although i know i didnt really need too.
good piece of mind though when your connecting to the exsisting.

Thanks again

MST

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back