iroko kitchen worktops - how to clean - washing up liquid?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some iroko worktops fitted last year - must admit after initial oiling did not re-oil or look after them (mid renovation) so ended up with several ring marks etc.

I have just re-sanded them all, removed all stains and re-oiled. I intend to now oil weekly for the next few weeks etc.

Previously I just used to use water to wipe them down but would prefer something that kills germs and cleans better.

Websites suggest - liquid soap - is this just washing up liquid? Will that not be too harsh and strip the oil out?

Is there nothing wood specific I should be using - have seen a few things labelled as wood floor cleaner (assume they are not good for cooking near)

Any advice? Googled to no avail!

Sponsored Links
Spelling: iroko.

I would wipe it down with a cloth, or clean it with a scrubbing brush and water, then reoil when dry.

Lignins, naturally occurring in wood, help to inhibit the growth of bacteria (which is why wooden chopping boards are good things to have).

It's quite possible, and many people believe, that the battery of antibacterial stuff available nowadays is responsible for lowering the activity of people's immune systems and is suspected of triggering allergies.

Spelling corrected!

You would oil it every day?!?

I'm talking about day to day maint.

Aware of anti-bact stuff etc - I was just thinking that 'floor cleaner' might be toxic thus best avoided.

Much as though I thought fairy liquid would be a definite no-no (too harsh) I cannot find an alternative

Sponsored Links
No, I didn't mean to suggest you'd oil it every day, but periodically.

It's only my untutored opinion, but I'd use washing up liquid to help clean off greasy deposits or other stuff that water alone won't remove.

Hi,

A warm, damp cloth with a minute amount of washing-up liquid is by far the best method. As mentioned above, wood is the best anti-bacterial worktop you can get. Additionally, modern cleaning agents are likely to damage the appearance of the wood (scorch or bleach marks etc).

If you have kids who like to plaster weetabix or porridge to your worktops, you can use a green sponge scourer to remove this. These scourers also produce a bit of a sheen to the surface when applying the top-up coats of Danish oil if you want that type of finish.

If you have any other queries about maintenance, please visit our Kitchen Worktops website or contact us for completely free advice.

Damn, thought I may have found somewhere to rival the prices of Worktop Express.

There are a lot of factors to consider when buying a wooden worktop (quality of timber, manufacture, glue, FSC certification etc).

The potential problems with cheap worktops are knots, cracks, shakes in the wood (some you wont know about until you cut into it), poor moisture content (which causes cupping and warping over time), poor glueing and joining, uneven surfaces - the list goes on. Also, I can guarantee that you will not be purchasing legally FSC certified products at those prices - it just isn't possible.

Please give me a call if you want to discuss these things in greater detail.

Steve

Mark, I have just checked your older posts and see that you clearly have a vested interest in Worktop Express, so your response makes more sense to me now. Good luck with your business.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back